Steak and Egg Breakfast Bowl with Kimchi and Avocado Butter SauceRecipe posted in: Breakfast Lunch/Dinner
You’ve probably heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But if you’re waking up to this Steak and Egg Breakfast Bowl, it’s also the most delicious. A vibrant combination of vegetables, kimchi and meat is topped with a runny egg and a dollop of smooth avocado-butter sauce for a well-balanced morning meal in a bowl.
If you have a little more time in your morning routine, try making this warm, hearty breakfast to fuel your day. You can also prep it ahead of time and take it to-go for lunch as you’re running out the door. The first step of this easy breakfast recipe is prepping the steak. We use a half-pound of skirt steak as our protein of choice. Pat the steak dry, then rub it with one tablespoon of avocado oil before sprinkling it with a teaspoon of steak seasoning. Heat some avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add the steak to the pan. If you want your steak to be medium-rare, cook it for about three to four minutes per side. Transfer the steak to a plate and tent it with aluminum foil to keep it warm while you prepare the rest of your bowl ingredients.
Next, it’s time to cook up those veggies! Slice up one medium zucchini or yellow squash, then cut up six broccolini and eight small asparagus into two-inch pieces. Heat some more avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the veggies and cook for about three minutes, until crisp-tender. Transfer them to a plate while you cook your eggs. Add the remaining avocado oil to a pan over medium-low heat. Add four eggs and cook for about three to five minutes, stirring often until they are cooked to your preference.
Your main components are finished and there is one last step before you can assemble your bowl. Prepare a creamy dressing in your food processor or blender to coat all of your ingredients. Combine half of a ripe avocado with two tablespoons of butter, three tablespoons of freshly chopped Italian parsley, cayenne pepper (optional), salt and pepper. Blend this creamy, dreamy sauce until smooth, then put together your bowl. Slice the steak into strips and divide evenly among four serving bowls. Top with the cooked vegetables, kimchi, avocado, scallions and cilantro. Finish off with the eggs, then drizzle with the avocado sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste before digging into this hot and hearty breakfast bowl.
This Steak and Egg Breakfast Bowl contains 442 calories per serving. It can be enjoyed as a breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner on your South Beach Diet program. Make sure to keep track of it in your food journal as one Protein, two Healthy Fats and one Vegetable. It also checks off four grams of your daily net carb allowance. Not sure how to keep your meal plan organized throughout your weight loss journey? The South Beach Diet Tracker app can help you stay on plan and reach your goals. Learn more about our FREE tracking app here! >
Healthy Hacks: This dish is inspired by one of the most popular Korean dishes, bibimbap (meaning “mixed meal with rice”). Feel free to add another Vegetable serving to this egg breakfast by serving it over keto friendly cauliflower rice! Can’t handle the heat? Like all fermented foods, kimchi is rich in probiotics and antioxidants. However, it can easily be substituted with raw sauerkraut if you don’t enjoy spicy food.
Looking for more healthy breakfast recipes to start your day the keto way? Check out just a few of our favorite low carb morning meal ideas below:
- Spinach and Artichoke Quiche Cups >
- Keto Friendly Matcha Smoothie Bowl >
- Keto Friendly Blueberry Muffins >
- Breakfast Naan Pizza >
- Keto Friendly Deviled Egg Stuffed Avocado >
- One-Pan Cauliflower Hash Brown Skillet with Eggs and Sausage >
- Sausage and Goat Cheese Frittata >
- Peanut Butter Pancakes >
- Caprese Breakfast Muffins >
- Simple Goat Cheese Scramble >
- Keto Friendly Cinnamon Rolls >
Eat clean and get healthy with delicious fully prepared meals designed to help you lose weight! Learn more about the South Beach Diet meal delivery service >
For even more recipes like this one, check out the book The New Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet written by the creator of the South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 2 Healthy Fat
- 1 Protein
- 1 Vegetables
- 1/2 lb. skirt steak
- 1 tsp. steak seasoning
- 3 Tbsp. avocado oil, divided
- 1 medium zucchini or yellow squash, sliced
- 6 broccolini, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 small asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup kimchi
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2 Tbsp. butter, room temperature
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pat the steak dry, then rub with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil. Sprinkle with steak seasoning on both sides.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steak and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a plate, tent with aluminum foil to keep warm, and set aside.
- Heat another 1/2 tablespoon of avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini, broccolini and asparagus. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until crisp-tender. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to the pan over medium-low heat. Add the eggs and cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often until cooked to your preference.
- To make the dressing, combine avocado, butter, parsley, cayenne (optional), salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Slice the steak into strips and divide among 4 serving bowls. Top with vegetables, kimchi, avocado, scallions and cilantro. Top with eggs, then drizzle with the avocado sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.