One-Pan Cauliflower Hash Brown Skillet with Eggs and SausageRecipe posted in: Breakfast Lunch/Dinner
It’s Sunday morning and you’re craving a warm and hearty brunch that will satisfy the whole family. Whip up this savory skillet of hash brown-inspired cauliflower, then top it with eggs and sausage for a one-pan breakfast that will start your day right.
What would a low carb diet be without cauliflower? This cruciferous, non-starchy vegetable is the perfect substitute for many high carb ingredients. We swap out potatoes for riced cauliflower in this One-Pan Cauliflower Hash Brown Skillet with Eggs and Sausage. Read our love letter to cauliflower and find out five reasons why we love this low-carb veggie right here! >
To kick off this one-pan recipe, preheat your oven to 425 degrees. While it’s preheating, melt one tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add six ounces of loose pork sausage and cook for five to seven minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until it has cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then remove the pork and set it aside. Make sure to reserve the grease in the pan for extra flavor! Place two and a half cups of cauliflower in between two clean dish towels and squeeze tightly to remove any extra water. Whisk one egg in a large mixing bowl, then add the riced cauliflower, a half-cup of shredded white cheddar cheese, two tablespoons of grated parmesan and four tablespoons of chopped scallions. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine the ingredients..
Now that each component of your meal is ready, it’s time to cook! Heat the same skillet that was used for the pork over medium heat. Add the cauliflower mixture and cook for five to six minutes without stirring, until it becomes browned on the bottom. Cut the remaining one tablespoon of butter into four pieces. Stir the cauliflower mixture, scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon. Spread it into an even layer and make four divots in the cauliflower mixture. Place one piece of butter into each divot, then crack an egg over the butter. Sprinkle the cooked sausage over the skillet and transfer it into the oven for six to 10 minutes, until eggs are cooked to your desired doneness. Garnish with some more scallions and serve warm.
One serving of this Cauliflower Hash Brown Skillet with Eggs and Sausage contains 368 calories.
If you’re searching for more creative ways to use cauliflower, you’ve come to the right place! The recipe section here on The Palm is filled with low-carb recipes using this trendy veggie. Check out a few of our favorites below:
- Cauliflower replaces beef for a plant-based take on steak. Try our Almond Crusted Roasted Cauliflower Steaks >
- Riced cauliflower is back and stuffed inside another favorite veggie. You’ll love our Cauliflower “Rice” and Ground Beef Stuffed Peppers >
- If cauliflower can be pizza, you can be anything! Try our creative recipe for Cauliflower Crust Veggie Pizza >
- A classic pizza has been transformed into a low-carb pie. Turn on the oven and bake this Cauliflower Crust Margherita Pizza >
- Power up with a power bowl! Cauliflower rice is the star in this fiber-packed Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice Power Bowl >
- Your go-to countertop appliance brings you hearty made healthy. Try these Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs with Loaded Cauliflower Mash >
- Use your favorite skillet to cook up another healthy meal. Your low-carb menu needs our Cauliflower Rice Shrimp Fajita Bowl >
- Melty cheese, flavorful herbs and tender chicken is stuffed inside a cauliflower crust. Get our recipe for a Homemade Calzone with Cauliflower Crust >
After you try those delicious recipes, make sure to have fun with these five life-changing low carb swaps! >
For even more recipes like this one, check out the book The New Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet written by the creator of the South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 3 Protein
- 0.5 Vegetables
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 6 oz. loose pork sausage
- 2 ½ cups cauliflower rice
- 5 eggs, divided
- ½ cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. grated parmesan
- 6 Tbsp. chopped scallions
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and cook 5 to 7 minutes, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove and set aside, reserving grease in the pan.
- Place cauliflower rice in between 2 clean dish towels and squeeze to remove excess water.
- Whisk 1 egg in a large mixing bowl. Add cauliflower rice, cheddar, parmesan, 4 tablespoons of scallions and salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Heat skillet used for pork over medium heat. Add cauliflower mixture and cook 5 to 6 minutes, without stirring, until browned on the bottom.
- Cut remaining 1 tablespoon of butter into 4 pieces.
- Stir cauliflower mixture, scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon. Then spread it into an even layer.
- Make 4 divots in the cauliflower mixture. Place 1 piece of butter into each divot, then crack an egg over the butter.
- Sprinkle cooked sausage over skillet.
- Transfer skillet to oven for 6 to 10 minutes, until eggs are cooked to desired doneness.
- Garnish with remaining scallions. Serve warm.