Sausage and Goat Cheese FrittataRecipe posted in: Breakfast
There’s no better way to start the day than with a hearty egg breakfast. Combine those eggs with creamy goat cheese, spicy sausage and fresh veggies and you’ve got a gourmet brunch that is certain to become a new meal prep favorite. Your mornings are made easy with this melty, protein-packed frittata that fits into your keto friendly diet. Grab a slice while you’re running out the door and never miss out on the most important meal of the day again.
To make this sausage frittata, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease up a baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk together 12 large eggs, three tablespoons of heavy cream, salt and pepper. Once combined and fluffy, add three ounces of goat cheese and fold the mixture together gently. Set aside the eggs and prepare your sausage by removing the casings. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add the sausage links and use a spatula to break up the sausage as it is cooking. Once the sausage is no longer pink, move it from the pan onto a paper towel-covered plate to absorb any extra fat.
Using the same skillet that was used to prepare your sausage, cook one pint of sliced portobello mushrooms until they’re soft. Set them aside while you sauté four cups of baby spinach until wilted. After the vegetables and sausage have cooled for a few minutes, gently stir them into the egg mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle one ounce of goat cheese on top. Bake for about 25 minutes until the eggs are puffed and appear cooked. The center of the frittata should slightly wiggle if you gently shake the pan. Remove the frittata from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool down. Garnish with herbs, slice with a knife and enjoy this healthy keto breakfast.
Healthy hacks: The best part about this frittata recipe is that it’s extremely versatile! If you don’t like mushrooms or spinach, simply swap them out with other non-starchy veggies that you enjoy. Sliced cherry tomatoes, onions and roasted bell peppers would be delicious substitutes. You can also feel free to switch up the type of sausage or cheese that you use. Swap in chicken or turkey sausage and replace the goat cheese with mozzarella or pepper jack. The possibilities are endless with this keto friendly breakfast!
One serving of this Sausage and Goat Cheese Frittata contains just 180 calories and counts as one Healthy Fat and one Protein on the South Beach Diet program. Before you forget, make sure to log your egg breakfast in the South Beach Diet Tracker app! It’s the best app for your keto friendly meal plan and helps you stay accountable with your food intake, water and exercise throughout your journey. Download the FREE South Beach Diet Tracker app today and track your way to weight loss success! Learn more about how our app can help you reach your goals >
Looking for more low carb breakfasts for your keto friendly meal plan? Get inspired by these other delicious recipes:
- Spinach and Artichoke Quiche Cups >
- Breakfast Naan Pizza >
- Mexican Veggie Egg Muffins >
- Asparagus Omelet with Goat Cheese >
- Peanut Butter Pancakes >
- Deviled Egg Stuffed Avocado >
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Muffins >
- Poached Eggs Arrabbiata >
Enjoy the flavor of sausage without the meal prep! The South Beach Diet A La Carte store has hearty and healthy breakfasts featuring this delicious protein. Stock up on our Turkey Sausage and Egg Muffin, Just Add Eggs Tuscan-Inspired Scramble and Italian-Style Sausage & Peppers for delicious meals ready in minutes.
Get in the best shape of your life with fully prepared meals delivered directly to your door! Get started with the South Beach Diet today >
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 1 Protein
- 12 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 4 oz. goat cheese, divided
- 2 Italian sausage links, casing removed
- 1-pint fresh portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream and salt and pepper. Once combined and fluffy, add 3 ounces of the goat cheese and fold together. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the sausage links with the casing removed. Use a spatula to break up the sausage as it is cooking. Once the sausage is no longer pink, move it from the pan onto a paper towel-covered plate to absorb any excess fat and allow to cool.
- Using the same skillet, add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Remove from the pan and set aside. Repeat with the spinach. Cook until wilted and set aside to cool.
- After the vegetables and sausage have cooled for a few minutes, gently stir them into the egg mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1 ounce of goat cheese on top.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until the eggs are puffed and appear cooked. The center of the frittata should slightly wiggle if you gently shake the pan. Remove the frittata from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.
- Garnish with herbs, slice with a knife and serve.