Spicy Mussels with Tomato and BasilRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
There is a long list of reasons you should muscle up to mussels. Not only are they incredibly delicious, these guys are also low in fat, fairly inexpensive, and ready in minutes. And, it doesn’t stop there. Mussels are packed with protein, omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin B-12. This Spicy Mussels with Tomato and Basil recipe could honestly be your new favorite. You can use the mussels to kick up the flavor of a salad or eat them on their own with a big, old pot for shells.
Healthy hint: Scrub the mussels with a vegetable brush under cold water to clean them and if there are any broken shells or some pop open, get rid of them. You’ll want to remove the “beards” of the mussels, or weed-like pieces that sometimes stay on the shell.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 0.5 Healthy Fat
- 1 Protein
- 1 Vegetables
- 1 Extras
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 4lbs. mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- Heat oil in a 6- to 8-quart heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, basil and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, reducing heat if onions begin to brown.
- Add wine and water, increase heat to high, bring to a boil and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and mussels; cover and cook until mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve hot.