Spicy Mussels with Tomato and BasilRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
There is a long list of reasons you should muscle up to mussels. Not only are they incredibly delicious, these little guys are also low in fat, fairly inexpensive and ready in minutes. But it doesn’t stop there! Mussels are packed with protein, omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin B-12. This healthy Spicy Mussels with Tomato and Basil recipe could honestly become your new favorite seafood dish.
You can use these Italian-inspired mussels to kick up the flavor of salad, pasta or steamed veggies! Better yet, eat them on their own with a big, old pot for shells. They’re that good! Featuring a medley of flavors from white wine, crushed tomatoes, basil, garlic, onions and red pepper flakes, this light and healthy dinner is a great way to fill up without filling out.
Healthy Hint: Scrub the mussels with a vegetable brush under cold water to clean them and if there are any broken shells or some pop open, get rid of them. You’ll want to remove the “beards” of the mussels, or weed-like pieces that sometimes stay on the shell.
Whether you enjoy shrimp, lobster or tilapia, we have plenty of healthy seafood recipes that are smart and satisfying! Check out some of our most popular meal ideas below:
- Greek Shrimp Stir Fry >
- Avocado Lime Shrimp Burger >
- Creamy Salmon Cucumber Cups >
- Avocado Crab Salad >
- Baked Salmon Cakes with Parmesan Pesto >
- Nut-Crusted Fish with Herbed Tahini Cheese Sauce >
- Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles>
- Cauliflower Rice Shrimp Fajita Bowl >
- Blackened Tilapia with Colorful Super Slaw >
- Classic Creamy Lobster Salad >
- Keto Friendly Classic Crab Cakes >
Lose weight and reach your goals with a convenient meal delivery service! The South Beach Diet delivers delicious meals directly to your door. Learn more about our meal plans or shop our menu a la carte! >
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 0.5 Healthy Fat
- 1 Protein
- 1 Vegetables
- 1 Extras
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup white wine
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 lb. mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- Heat oil in a 6- to 8-quart heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, basil and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, reducing heat if onions begin to brown.
- Add wine and water, increase heat to high, bring to a boil and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and mussels; cover and cook until mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve hot.