Blackened Tilapia with Super SlawRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Nothing says summer like coleslaw! Top that slaw with a fresh piece of fish and you’ve got a seasonal meal that’s perfect for warm weather and sunshine. If you’re craving a good-for-you seafood dish that’s packed with flavor, then look no further. This combination of spiced tilapia and fresh crunchy slaw makes a satisfying and healthy family dinner.
Tilapia is a mild, delicate and tender fish that easily takes on the flavors you pair it with. It lacks a “fishy” taste, making it ideal for those who aren’t exactly seafood fans. We coat fresh tilapia fillets in a flavorful seasoning blend and serve it over a colorful bed of superfood veggies. It’s a Cajun-inspired meal that fits perfectly into your low-carb diet.
We start by preparing the Super Slaw so that it has some time to chill in the fridge before plating. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together keto friendly mayonnaise, plain Greek yogurt, celery seeds, hemp seeds and lemon juice to create a dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then add the veggies. This includes thinly sliced endive, shredded napa cabbage, thinly sliced fennel, thinly sliced red onion, finely chopped celery, thinly sliced bell pepper, micro greens and diced avocado. Season again with salt and pepper to taste, then toss the slaw and dressing together until it’s well combined. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to eat.
While your Super Slaw is chilling in the refrigerator, it’s time to work on the star of the show: the tilapia! In a small bowl, stir together a dry rub mixture of oregano, onion powder, chili powder, rosemary, garlic powder, paprika and thyme. Pat your tilapia fillets dry and season them with salt and pepper to taste. Press the spice mixture onto the fish to coat it liberally.
Heat avocado oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tilapia fillets to the skillet and cook for three to four minutes per side (exact time may vary depending on the thickness of your fish). Drizzle the fish with the lemon juice and serve it over a side of the Super Slaw.
One serving of this Blackened Tilapia with Super Slaw contains 546 calories. If you have some net carbs to spare for the day, feel free to serve your fish over a side of seasoned quinoa or brown rice.
Celebrate summer with simple seafood suppers! Check out the recipes below for some low-carb inspiration:
- Avocado Shrimp Burger >
- Baked Salmon Cakes with Pesto >
- Classic Lobster Salad >
- Nut-Crusted Fish with Herbed Tahini Cheese Sauce >
- Healthy Cod Chowder Recipe >
- Creamy Salmon Cucumber Cups >
- Greek Shrimp Stir Fry >
- Avocado Crab Salad >
- Shrimp Scampi with Zoodles >
For even more recipes like this one, check out the book The New Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet written by the creator of the South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 2 Healthy Fat
- 2 Protein
- 2 Vegetables
- 3 Tbsp. keto friendly mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp. celery seeds
- 1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 endive head, thinly sliced
- 3 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 heart celery, finely chopped
- ½ small bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup microgreens
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. dried rosemary
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 4 (6-oz.) tilapia fillets
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Super Slaw & Dressing
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the Super Slaw ingredients to the dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl, stir together oregano, onion powder, chili powder, rosemary, garlic powder, paprika and thyme.
- Pat tilapia fillets dry then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Press the spice mixture onto the fish to coat liberally.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add tilapia to the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, depending on the thickness.
- Drizzle with the lemon juice and transfer to serving plates.
- Serve Blackened Tilapia over a side of the Super Slaw.