Spanish Braised Chicken in Creamy Almond SauceRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
When you start a low carb diet, chicken recipes quickly become a staple on your menu. If you’ve finally grown tired of eating the same old chicken and veggie dish every night, it’s time to spice up your life with our Spanish Braised Chicken in Creamy Almond Sauce! This aromatic one-pot chicken recipe is guaranteed to satisfy your comfort food cravings and add some variety to your week.
The best part about this nutritious and delicious meal is that it’s perfect for your weekly meal prep. It tastes just as good the next day, so you can easily make it ahead and re-heat. Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. It’s also a freezer friendly dish and can be frozen for up to one month.
One serving of this Spanish Braised Chicken in Creamy Almond Sauce contains 334 calories and seven grams of net carbs.
Hungry for more chicken? Add these other tasty recipes to your low carb menu:
- Buffalo Ranch Stuffed Chicken >
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Taco Soup >
- Chicken Lasagna Cups >
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken >
- Chicken Tikka Masala Skewers >
- One-Pan Spicy Chayote Chicken >
- Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breast >
- Easy Chicken Parm >
- Mexican Chicken Soup >
- Everything Bagel Chicken >
For even more recipes like this one, check out the book The New Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet written by the creator of the South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1.5 Healthy Fat
- 1 Protein
- 0.5 Vegetables
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1/3 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted Spanish manzanilla olives (or other green olives), sliced
- 4 Tbsp. flat leaf parsley, chopped and divided
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Pat chicken thighs dry then season with salt and pepper to taste. Add to pan and cook 4 to 6 minutes per side, until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add onions to the skillet and cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Stir in garlic, sundried tomatoes, paprika, peppers and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken thighs and broth to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add almonds, olives, 3 Tablespoons of parsley, lemon zest and lemon juice. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes longer.
- Garnish with remaining parsley before serving.