Keto Pizza Zucchini BoatsRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Craving a hot, cheesy slice of pizza on your keto friendly diet? Dig into these Keto Pizza Zucchini Boats that are fully loaded with all of your favorite toppings. This low carb take on a supreme pie is just what your Friday night needed.
The crust is typically the most time consuming and involved part of the pizza making process. However, we’re skipping all that fuss by using one simple vegetable to hold together our pie. No, we’re not talking about the trendy cauliflower pizza crust. Even that involves a bit of work (But if you’re interested in that, we do have a delicious recipe right here! >). We’re talking about an ingredient so amazing, it doesn’t even need any help to do the job. Did the recipe name give it away? Zucchini is here to save the day!
This healthy pizza recipe requires four whole zucchini. Slice them in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. If your zucchini halves don’t lie flat, trim a thin strip from the bottom to create a flat surface. Arrange them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and set them aside.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and work on your toppings while it’s getting hot. This is the part that requires the most steps. However, it’s also the part that’s the most fun! You can get creative and experiment with adding your favorite veggies, cheese and proteins. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and select your pizza protein of choice. We use eight ounces of a ground Italian sausage for its zesty flavor. Add the sausage to the skillet and cook for about five minutes until it is browned. Be sure to break up the sausage with a wooden spoon as it cooks. In a separate small skillet, heat one teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add four ounces of sliced baby portobello mushrooms and cook for about three minutes.
Now it’s time to assemble your pie! Spoon two tablespoons of tomato sauce into each zucchini half. Top each “slice” equally with the cooked sausage and mushrooms. We also add shredded mozzarella cheese, chopped red onions, green pepper and sliced black olives. Bake your zucchini boats for about 12 to 15 minutes. Top with fresh basil and red pepper flakes before serving.
One serving of these Keto Pizza Zucchini Boats contains 371 calories and 10.5 grams of net carbs. You can log it into the South Beach Diet Tracker App as one Healthy Fat, two Proteins and one Vegetable. Click here to learn more about our FREE app and how it can help you reach your goals! >
Healthy Hack: Feel free to switch up the toppings with whatever you have on hand. If you’re trying to go plant-based, omit the sausage or swap in a vegetarian version.
Searching for more easy, cheesy keto pizza recipes? Try these on for size!:
- Hot and Cheesy Portobello Pizza >
- Cauliflower Crust Veggie Pizza >
- Breakfast Naan Pizza >
- Keto-Friendly Bacon Ranch Pizza >
The Palm Weight Loss Blog is also filled with healthy recipes that feature the famous low carb swap, zucchini. From spiralized pasta dinners to more zucchini boat goodness, the recipes below are sure to become favorites on your weight loss menu:
- 2-Step Creamy Avocado Pesto Zucchini Noodles >
- Bacon Wrapped Zucchini >
- 2-Step Garlic and Herb Zucchini Noodles >
- Zesty Italian Zucchini Boats >
- Zucchini Lasagna >
- Low Carb Chicken Parm Zucchini Boats >
Are you looking for a healthy meal delivery service? We’re here for you! Learn more about South Beach Diet meal plans >
For even more recipes like this one, check out the book The New Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet written by the creator of the South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 2 Protein
- 1 Vegetables
- 4 zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise and seeded
- 8 oz. ground Italian sausage
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (14-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp. sliced black olives
- Fresh basil and red pepper flakes, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- If zucchini halves don’t lie flat, trim a thin strip from the bottom to create a flat surface. Arrange zucchini on the prepared baking sheet. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until just softened.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce into each zucchini half. Top with sausage, mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, red onion, green pepper and black olives.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Top with fresh basil and red pepper flakes before serving.