Mexican Chicken SoupRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Mexican Chicken Soup isn’t just delicious, it’s satisfying, too. Featuring fresh salsa, tender chicken and a whole host of spices, it’s a savory dish you’ll love.
Want to mix things up? Substitute shrimp for the chicken for a Mexican Shrimp Soup. Just add the shrimp when you add the salsa and simmer for one minute. Cilantro lovers can chop up some fresh herb and use it for sprinkling if desired.
If you enjoyed this healthy meal, you’ll love our recipe for Mexican Veggie Egg Muffins! >
Reach your weight loss goals with low carb meals delivered right to your door! Get started with the South Beach Diet today >
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
Servings: 4 (2 1/2 cup servings)
- 1.5 Protein
- 1 Vegetables
- 1 Extras
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 5 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch strips
- 2 cups mild refrigerated fresh salsa
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno; cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cumin; cook 30 seconds more.
- Add broth, increase heat to high, and bring to a rapid simmer. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in salsa, bring back to a simmer, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot.