Chicken Tikka SkewersRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Looking for a fun and fresh way to prepare chicken? Smothered in a Greek yogurt-based marinade and flavorful homemade spice blend, these Indian-inspired Chicken Tikka Skewers are the perfect addition to your low-carb menu. Enjoy the delicious aroma of garam masala as these diet-friendly chicken bites bake to perfection in your oven.
To make these protein-packed skewers, get started by preparing the chicken marinade. Grab a large mixing bowl and combine two tablespoons of olive oil, a half-cup of Greek yogurt, the zest and juice of two limes, two garlic cloves and your spices. We use a flavorful combination of ginger, turmeric, garam masala, cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt and pepper. However, feel free to adjust the spices based on your own inventory and taste buds! For example, you can reduce or eliminate the chili powder if you can’t handle the heat.
Now that your marinade is ready, prepare your tikka chicken by patting it dry and adding it directly to the marinade. Cover and refrigerate your marinating chicken for at least four hours, preferably overnight. Once you’re ready to enjoy this healthy chicken meal, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet. Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread it onto metal or soaked wooden skewers. Place the skewers on the prepared baking sheet and discard any remaining marinade. Bake the skewers for about 12 to 15 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time. Once the chicken is cooked through, transfer the skewers to a plate and serve.
Serving Suggestion: Create a beautiful presentation with freshly sliced lime wedges, chopped cilantro, diced green peppers and chopped red onion. A serving of cauliflower rice would bulk up the meal and fill you up with fiber. You can also serve your skewers with a homemade Greek yogurt dipping sauce. Just combine Full-fat plain Greek yogurt and lemon juice with your favorite spices and herbs.
One serving of these Chicken Tikka Skewers contains 216 calories and two grams of net carbs.
Looking for more low-carb chicken recipes for your weight loss menu? Enjoy these other tasty ideas:
- Everything Bagel Chicken >
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken >
- Spinach & Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breast >
- Chicken Fingers >
- Chicken Lasagna Cups >
- Chicken & Veggie Stuffed Cauliflower Crust Calzone >
- South Beach Chicken Paella >
- One-Pan Spicy Chayote Chicken >
For even more recipes like this one, check out the book The New Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet written by the creator of the South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 1 Protein
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 limes, juiced and zested
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger (or 1 tsp. ground ginger)
- 1 2-inch piece fresh turmeric (or 1 tsp. turmeric powder)
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. ground chili powder or cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 ½-inch cubes
- 4 metal or soaked wooden skewers
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix olive oil, Greek yogurt, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, cumin, coriander, chili powder (optional), salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl to create the marinade.
- Pat the chicken dry and add it directly to the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least for 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400ºF. Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread onto skewers. Place skewers on the prepared baking sheet and discard any remaining marinade.
- Bake skewers for 12 to 15 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, transfer the skewers to a plate and serve.