Low Carb Chicken Parm Zucchini Boats RecipeRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
If you want a boat load of flavor, you’re in luck: Low Carb Chicken Parm Zucchini Boats are a tidal wave of deliciousness!
Ground chicken, pasta sauce, garlic and mozzarella cheese melt together in a bed of roasted vegetable. Zucchini’s heavy water content means lower calorie counts and fewer carbs, but there’s no limit on the amount of satisfaction a chicken-parm-style meal could provide. Finish it off with basil and parsley, and swap those post-meal sweatpants for an amazing pair of skinny jeans. This one delivers one-half of a Healthy Fat (in addition to one and a half Vegetable and Lean Protein servings), so you can eliminate the unsightly ones.
Phase: Phase 2, Phase 3
- .5 Healthy Fat
- 1.5 Lean Protein
- 1.5 Vegetables
- 1 cup or 4 oz. zucchini (equivalent to ½ large zucchini scooped out or 1 small zucchini scooped out)
- ½ tsp. garlic, raw, minced
- ½ tsp. shallots, raw, minced
- ½ Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz. ground chicken
- ¼ cup pasta sauce (less than 3 gm sugar per serving)
- 2 Tbsp. mozzarella cheese, part-skim, shredded
- ½ tsp. fresh basil (optional)
- ½ tsp. fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. While the oven is preheating, clean and dry zucchini. Then mince the garlic and shallots.
- Cut off zucchini top and slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a metal spoon or melon baller, carefully scoop out the insides of the zucchini (seeds and center). Make sure to leave about one-quarter of an inch of zucchini around the edges to create a boat. Lightly brush both sides of the zucchini with one-half of the olive oil and place it (skin side down) in a baking or casserole dish. Set this aside. *Note: This recipe you will use either one-half of a large zucchini or both halves of a small zucchini.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over a medium-high heat. Once hot, add the minced garlic and shallots, cooking until they become slightly brown and fragrant (about 2 to 3 minutes). Next, add the ground chicken to the pan, constantly mashing it into small pieces until browned (about 3 to 5 minutes). Turn the heat off and stir in the pasta sauce.
- Spoon the meat mixture into the zucchini boat. Top it with shredded mozzarella cheese, cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and then bake it for about 25 to 35 minutes, until the zucchini is softened and the cheese is melted and bubbly. *Note: Cook time will vary depending on the size of the zucchinis you are using.
- Remove zucchini boat from the oven, top it with fresh basil and parsley (if desired) and enjoy!
- This healthy recipe is family-friendly so feel free to double, triple or quadruple it. If you make extras, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.