Cauliflower Crust Margherita PizzaRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Let’s be serious: Giving up pizza for any diet just isn’t an option. So, thank the heavens and the healthy master chefs of South Beach Diet because Cauliflower Margherita Pizza is the missing piece in your life. Rich, thick tomato sauce, layered over a cheesy, egg and cauliflower base, sits just as nicely in the oven (totally fooling all carb fanatics) as it does in your stomach. You’ll love every minute of the basil-topped end product, so do yourself a favor and start cooking now.
Phase: Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3
- 1 Lean Protein
- 1.5 Vegetables
- 1 cup cauliflower (about ¼ of a medium-sized head), riced
- Egg white, 1 large
- ¼ cup part-skim, low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¼ tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt (to taste, optional)
- Black pepper (to taste, optional)
- ½ tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. onion, minced
- 4 Tbsp. crushed tomatoes with basil
- 2 leaves of fresh basil
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray (about two sprays) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add cauliflower to a food processor (fitted with an S. blade) or blender, and pulse until it is finely ground or a rice-like texture is achieved. You can also purchase pre-riced cauliflower from the supermarket.
- Transfer cauliflower to a microwave safe bowl and place in the microwave for about 2 minutes or until the cauliflower is softened. Let cool.
- When the cauliflower is cool enough to handle, use a clean dish towel, paper towel or cheese cloth and drain it of any excess water.
- Transfer cauliflower to a clean bowl and stir in egg white, two tablespoons. of shredded mozzarella cheese and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Spread cauliflower mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and form into a rectangle (or circle if desired), creating as thin of a crust as possible.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. As the cauliflower cooks, mince your fresh garlic and onion.
- Remove from the oven and top the cauliflower with crushed tomatoes, minced garlic and onion, and the remainder of your shredded mozzarella cheese. Place it back in the oven and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and enjoy!