Zucchini LasagnaRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Classic Italian lasagna goes keto friendly! You won’t miss the pasta in our Zucchini Lasagna filled with hearty beef, creamy cheese and flavorful herbs.
Lasagna is typically a noodle-based casserole layered with meat, cheese and sometimes veggies. It’s definitely not a dish you would expect to find on a low carb weight loss program! But by slicing thin ribbons of fresh zucchini, you can create the perfect pasta replacement that fits into your diet.
To make this zoodle creation, all you have to do is layer your zucchini slices into a baking dish with cooked lean ground beef and a mixture of ricotta, parmesan, egg and spices. Cover your casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove the foil and let it bake for another five minutes until the cheese is brown and bubbly. Let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing into nine equal slices.
One serving of this Zucchini Lasagna contains 270 calories. What’s even better is that you can indulge in a slice for only three grams of net carbs per serving!
Zucchini is one of our favorite low carb swaps! Check out these other tasty recipes using this nutritious non-starchy veggie:
- Bacon Wrapped Zucchini >
- Meatballs with Tomato and Zucchini Medley >
- Chicken Parm Zucchini Boats >
- Zucchini and Chicken Flatbread >
- Easy Chicken Parm >
- Whole Wheat Vegetable Lasagna >
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 2 Protein
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (90/10)
- 1½ cup marinara sauce, no sugar added
- 2-3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1½ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. dried Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Wash the zucchini and slice lengthwise into thin ribbons. Place ribbons on a large plate lined with paper towels between each row. Set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the marinara sauce and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, italian seasoning, oregano and garlic powder until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Assemble the lasagna in an 8x8 baking dish. First layer the bottom with meat sauce, followed by a layer of zucchini ribbons and then the ricotta mixture. Continue to layer in that order until ingredients are gone (about 3 layers).
- Top lasagna with a little bit of marinara sauce and an even layer of shredded mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil and return to the oven for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is slightly browned and bubbly.
- Allow lasagna to rest for about 10 minutes. Cut into 9 equal slices and serve.