Embrace the power of cauliflower! This cruciferous veggie may seem like a bland ingredient. However, with a little creativity and a whole lot of love, you can transform it into an easy, cheesy, garlicky snack that’s packed with flavor. Check out this recipe for Cheesy Garlic Cauliflower Breadsticks! It’s the perfect addition to your healthy pizza or movie night and would also make a great game day appetizer.
To make these cauliflower breadsticks, you’ll combine cauliflower rice, shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, a large egg, minced garlic, salt and pepper to create the dough. Form the dough into an oval and bake at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes. Once the bottom is crisp and golden, brush it with a fragrant mixture of olive oil, minced onion, thyme, rosemary, oregano, salt and pepper. Return it to the top rack of the oven and broil for one to two minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden. Just be sure to keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t burn! Once it’s finished baking to perfection, allow the bread to cool for five minutes before slicing and serving.
Pro Tip: You can easily store these breadsticks in the fridge or freezer. Allow them to cool completely before placing them into an airtight container. They should keep in the fridge for about five days. If you’d like to freeze them, place the cooled breadsticks onto a baking sheet before placing them in the freezer. When they become frozen, simply put them into a bag and back into the freezer.
You can enjoy two of these Cheesy Garlic Cauliflower Breadsticks as one serving. This contains 135 calories and counts as one Healthy Fat and half of a Vegetable serving on your South Beach Diet weight loss plan. On the South Beach Diet, you will limit your carbohydrates to 50 grams or less of net carbs per day. This delicious appetizer contains just three grams of net carbs per serving, making it the perfect snack or side dish to enjoy as you lose weight! You can easily keep track of your net carb intake with the South Beach Diet Tracker app. The macro track and daily food journal is a great way to stay organized.
Craving more cauliflower? The Palm Weight Loss Blog has plenty of delicious ideas using this versatile non-starchy veggie! Think of us as your virtual low-carb recipe book. Check out the delicious ideas below:
- Cauliflower Crust Veggie Pizza >
- Homemade Calzone with Cauliflower Crust >
- Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs with Loaded Cauliflower Mash >
- Cauliflower Rice Shrimp Fajita Bowl >
- Cauliflower “Rice” and Ground Beef Stuffed Peppers >
- Cauliflower Crust Margherita Pizza >
- Chicken & Veggie Stuffed Cauliflower Crust Calzone >
- Keto Friendly Mediterranean Chicken Bowl >
In addition to using cauliflower to make breadsticks and pizza crust, you can also use it as a replacement for rice. Stock up on these five chicken dinners that feature riced cauliflower! >
Want easy and delicious meals delivered directly to your door? We’re here for you! Sign up for a low-carb, high-protein meal plan from the South Beach Diet. Learn more here! >
This recipe is from the book, The New Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet, written by the creator of the South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
Servings: 6 (recipe makes 12 breadsticks total, 1 serving = 2 breadsticks)
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 0.5 Vegetables
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- ¾ cup shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese, divided
- 6 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. dried minced onion
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- Place oven racks on the top and middle rungs of the oven and preheat it to 450ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Press the cauliflower rice between 2 clean towels to remove the excess liquid. Transfer it to a large mixing bowl.
- Add ½ cup of the mozzarella, 4 tablespoons of the Parmesan, the egg, and the minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine into a dough that holds its shape when pinched together.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet. Press it into an oval about ¼ inch thick.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the lower of the 2 oven racks and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the bottom is crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, whisk together in a small bowl the olive oil, minced onion, thyme, rosemary, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set the mixture aside.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Increase the heat to broil.
- Brush the olive oil mixture all over the bread and then sprinkle it with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan. Return it to the top rack of the oven and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden. Keep a close eye on the bread to prevent burning.
- Allow the bread to cool for 5 minutes. Cut it into 12 slices and enjoy it warm.