Homemade Calzone with Cauliflower CrustRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Calzone is in the pizza family and is often a big no-no on a healthy diet. Our healthier Homemade Calzone swaps the carb-loaded classic recipe with a delicious and nutritious cauliflower crust.
This Homemade Calzone with Cauliflower Crust is stuffed with cheese, veggies and chicken for a protein-packed meal that tastes like you’re cheating on your healthy diet. Add this recipe to your dinner menu for a low carb take on a classic Italian favorite.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 2 Healthy Fat
- 1 Protein
- 1.5 Vegetables
- 2 cups cauliflower (about ½ of a medium-sized head), riced
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- ¼ cup bell peppers, diced
- ¼ cup tomatoes, diced
- 1.5 oz. skinless chicken breast strips
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese, whole milk
- 4 basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400˚ F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop cauliflower into florets and add to a food processor (fitted with an S. blade) or blender and pulse until a rice-like texture is achieved. You can also purchase pre-riced cauliflower from the supermarket.
- Transfer cauliflower to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for about 2 to 3 minutes or until cauliflower is softened. Let cool.
- When the cauliflower is cool enough to handle, use a clean dish towel, paper towel or cheese cloth and drain it (over the sink) of any excess water.
- Transfer cauliflower to a clean bowl and stir in the egg, two tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese, oregano, black pepper and garlic powder. Mix it until combined.
- Divide the cauliflower mixture in half and form into two circular shapes on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- When the cauliflower calzone crusts are cooked, fill them equally with the diced bell peppers, tomatoes and basil. Sprinkle each calzone with one tablespoon of mozzarella cheese. Fold each crust in half to cover the filling and create the calzone.
- Place calzones back in the oven and bake them for an additional 7-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and enjoy!