Chicken & Veggie Stuffed Cauliflower Crust CalzoneRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Low-carb pizza is awesome, but an eight-grams-of-carbs cauliflower calzone is absolute nirvana!
This Spinach, Artichoke & Chicken Stuffed Cauliflower Calzone makes eating so blissful, you’ll forget where you are. Juicy, thick pieces of chicken breast, gooey, rich mozzarella cheese, Italian seasonings… the list of reasons to make this meal tonight goes on and on. The secret, like in low-carb pizzas, is cauliflower!
Phase: Phase 1
- 2 cups cauliflower (about ½ of a medium-sized head), riced
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Black pepper (to taste, optional)
- ¼ cup spinach, frozen
- ¼ cup artichoke hearts, frozen
- 1.5 oz. skinless chicken breast strips
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese, whole milk
- Red pepper flakes (to taste, optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400˚ F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop cauliflower into florets and add to a food processor (fitted with an S. blade) or blender and pulse until a rice-like texture is achieved. You can also purchase pre-riced cauliflower from the supermarket.
- Transfer cauliflower to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for about 2 to 3 minutes or until cauliflower is softened. Let cool.
- When the cauliflower is cool enough to handle, use a clean dish towel, paper towel or cheese cloth and drain it (over the sink) of any excess water.
- Transfer cauliflower to a clean bowl and stir in the egg, two tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese, the Italian seasoning and the garlic powder. Season it with salt and black pepper to taste, if desired. Mix it until combined.
- Divide the cauliflower mixture in half and form into two circular shapes on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- As the cauliflower cooks, prepare your filling. Microwave the frozen spinach and artichoke hearts, according to the package instructions, making sure to drain the vegetables of any excess liquid once cooked. Microwave the skinless chicken breast, according to package instructions. You may also reheat rotisserie chicken with skin removed or opt for previously prepared plain skinless chicken. Chop the artichoke hearts and chicken strips into small pieces and place them in a mixing bowl. Add the ricotta cheese and spinach to the mixture, mixing well.
- When the cauliflower calzone crusts are cooked, divide the filling in half and spread half of the filling over half of each cauliflower round. Sprinkle them with mozzarella cheese (one tablespoon each) and red pepper flakes if desired. Fold each crust in half (with a spatula) to cover the filling and create the calzone.
- Place calzones back in the oven and bake them for an additional 7-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and enjoy!