Cauliflower “Rice” and Ground Beef Stuffed PeppersRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
These super healthy Cauliflower “Rice” and Ground Beef Stuffed Bell Peppers are the kind of food you can stuff your face with: Cheesy, Mexican-spiced fare is no longer off limits as you dine on a baked entree all under 300 calories! Cauliflower “rice” is heavily draped with a meaty mixture and bundled into a bright, beautiful vegetable to keep you feeling satisfied with 22 grams of protein. Bye, bye starchy, refined carbs.
Phase: Phase 2, Phase 3
- 1 Lean Protein
- 2 Vegetables
- 1 Extras
- 1 green bell pepper (or other variety), raw (should be about 5.3 oz. with stem/seeds/membranes removed)
- ½ cup cauliflower, riced, raw (or about 1/5th medium head)
- 1 Tbsp. white onion, raw, diced
- 4 oz. 93% lean, 7% fat ground beef (opt for 100% grass fed, organic)
- ¼ cup canned fire roasted, diced tomatoes, no salt or sugar added
- 1 tsp. tomato paste, no salt added
- 1 tsp. salt-free Mexican seasoning blend
- 1 Tbsp. cheddar cheese, shredded, low sodium (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. While oven is preheating, clean and dry the bell pepper. Cut its top and remove the seeds and membranes. Wrap pepper in aluminum foil and bake for about 20 minutes or until it is softened.
- While pepper is cooking, rice cauliflower by placing in food processor or blender and pulse it until it is finely ground or a rice-like texture is achieved. Set it aside. Dice onion. Note: you may also use pre-riced cauliflower from the supermarket.
- Place onion and ground beef in a medium-sized, nonstick skillet and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until beef is browned.
- Add cauliflower, canned tomatoes, tomato paste and spices to the skillet. Sauté for another 5 minutes or until rice is tender and dish is well combined. Note: if you can’t locate a salt-free Mexican seasoning, you may make your own with one-eighth of a teaspoon. of each of the following: Minced garlic/onion, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder and oregano. Use one teaspoon total of the seasoning blend and save the rest for use at a different meal.
- Once softened, remove pepper from oven. Open aluminum foil wrapping and drain the pepper of any excess liquid. Fill pepper with cooked cauliflower rice and ground beef mixture. Sprinkle the top of pepper with cheese, if desired, and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Enjoy! Note: you may omit the cheese and save your extra serving for use at a different meal or snack.