Crispy, golden French fries aren’t typically found on a low carb menu. After all, they’re usually prepared with a starchy, high carb base, coated in flour and deep-fried in overheated oil. But here at The South Beach Diet, we’re all about making healthier, lower carb versions of your favorite meals. We turned a fast food favorite into keto friendly fare in this healthier fry recipe made with baked avocado, buttermilk and almond flour. Served up with a Greek yogurt-based Chipotle Garlic Dip, this unique and gourmet take on French fries is the perfect snack, side dish or appetizer.
We make many healthy swaps in this recipe so that you can “indulge” in fries without the guilt. Instead of high carb potatoes, the base of our fry is made with creamy avocado packed with healthy fats. To create the crispy texture you crave, the avocado is coated in keto friendly almond and tapioca flours instead of regular flour. We also substitute the deep fryer with an oven to save you unnecessary calories. The dipping sauce is made with full-fat, plain Greek yogurt instead of sugar-filled ketchup or barbecue sauce.
To make these crispy, emerald fries, get started by preheating your oven to 400 degrees and grease a baking sheet. Slice two avocados in half lengthwise and remove the large seed. Carefully scoop out the flesh of the avocados and create wedges by slicing them in quarters lengthwise. Next, create an assembly line with three separate shallow bowls. The first bowl should contain a quarter cup of tapioca flour. In the second bowl, whisk together one egg and two tablespoons of whole buttermilk. Pour your almond flour into the third bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Now that your assembly line is ready, it’s time to dip your fries! Start by gently tossing each avocado wedge in the tapioca flour to create a light coating. Shake off any excess, then dip into the buttermilk mixture. Allow any excess liquid to drip away, then press your fries into the almond flour. Place your avocado on the prepared sheet pan and repeat this process with the remaining avocado wedges. Bake the fries for about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove them from the oven, flip over each avocado wedge, then return to the oven for about five more minutes until both sides are golden. While your fries are finishing up in the oven, prepare your Chipotle Garlic Dip by whisking together Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, chipotle powder and garlic in a small bowl.
Pro tip: If you’re a ketchup or barbecue sauce lover, check your local grocery store for sugar-free varieties. Luckily, these types of keto friendly products are becoming more common in the average grocery store.
One serving of these Baked Avocado Fries with Chipotle Sauce contains 199 calories and counts as two Healthy Fats and one Extra on the South Beach Diet program. Healthy Fats are essential to your keto friendly weight loss plan. Ensure you’re getting in enough of them by logging your food intake into the South Beach Diet Tracker app! It’s the best app for your low carb diet and allows you to easily keep track of your macros, water and weight loss throughout your journey.
Looking for more avolicious recipes? Check out these other lean, green ideas:
- Open-Faced Avocado Tuna Sandwich >
- 5-Ingredient Chocolate Avocado Pudding >
- Avocado Shrimp Burger >
- Keto Friendly Avocado Crab Salad >
- Creamy Avocado Pesto Dip >
- Open-Faced Egg & Avocado Sandwich >
- Keto Friendly Deviled Egg Stuffed Avocado >
Here at the South Beach Diet, we LOVE avocado. Why else would be include as one of our South Beach Diet Staples? It’s also on our list of Foods for Healthier Hair and 10 Low Carb Foods to Fill You Up Fast, so you know it’s a great choice on your keto friendly meal plan. Read more about why we love avocado by clicking the link below:
These Baked Avocado Fries would be the perfect side to pair with our fully prepared chili! Check out the South Beach Diet A La Carte store for our Texas-Style Chili Sauce with Meat and Chockful of Veggie Chili. Click here to stock up on keto friendly meals >
Eat clean and get healthy with delicious fully prepared meals designed to help you lose weight! Learn more about the South Beach Diet program >
For even more recipes like this one, check out the book The New Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet written by the creator of the South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 2 Healthy Fat
- 1 Extras
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. whole buttermilk
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup whole milk Greek yogurt, plain
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- Avocado Fries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a sheet pan and set it aside.
- Slice avocados in half lengthwise. Remove and discard the seed. Carefully scoop out the flesh, then slice lengthwise into quarters to make wedges.
- Place tapioca flour in a shallow bowl.
- Whisk egg and buttermilk in a separate shallow bowl until combined.
- Place almond flour in a third shallow bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Working in an assembly line, dip each avocado wedge into the tapioca flour to coat. Shake off any excess, then dip in buttermilk mixture to coat. Allow excess to drip away, then press into almond flour to coat. Place on the prepared sheet pan and repeat with the remaining avocado wedges.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes
- Remove sheet pan from the oven. Carefully flip each avocado wedge. Return to the oven for 5 to 6 more minutes, until both sides are golden.
- Chipotle Garlic Dip
- Whisk together Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, chipotle powder and garlic in a small bowl.