Creamy Tomato Soup with Parmesan CrispsRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Nothing says comfort like a warm bowl of creamy, dreamy tomato soup. Satisfy your cravings with a homestyle meal that tastes like mom’s cooking while sticking to your low-carb diet. This smooth, velvety tomato soup is served up with crunchy parmesan crisps that are perfect for dunking or crumbling on top. It’s a unique twist on a classic combination that’s reminiscent of tomato soup and grilled cheese.
To create this delicious duo, get started by making the tomato soup. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add one finely diced small yellow onion and two cloves of minced garlic. Cook for about three minutes until translucent, then add one teaspoon of dried basil, two tablespoons of tomato paste, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine and add one 14.5-ounce can of crushed tomatoes and three cups of chicken or vegetable stock. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. As soon as the soup begins to boil, turn the heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Once your soup is done simmering, turn off the heat and add a half-cup of heavy cream. With an immersion blender, puree the soup, being careful not to splash yourself with hot liquid.
Now that your soup is finished, set it aside to prepare your keto parmesan crisps. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Measure out three-quarters of a cup parmesan cheese to create your crisps. Using a tablespoon, scoop the parmesan onto the prepared pan to make 12 equal-sized mounds. Make sure to leave about two inches of space between each mound of cheese so they can spread out while baking. Bake for about 10 minutes or until deeply golden brown. Allow to cool for five minutes on the pan before serving. Ladle the soup into four bowls and serve with the parmesan crisps on the side or crumbled over top.
Healthy Hack: If you’d like to make this soup even more filling, feel free to enjoy it with a Protein from our Grocery Guide. Whip up some homemade turkey meatballs, sliced chicken breast or grilled shrimp to serve over this delicious dinner.
One serving of this Creamy Tomato Soup with Parmesan Crisps contains 356 calories and five grams of net carbs. It counts as two Healthy Fats and one Vegetable on the South Beach Diet program. While you’re slurping on this creamy soup, make sure to log it in the South Beach Diet Tracker app. Keeping track of your food intake throughout your journey can help you reach your weight loss goals.
Soup is the perfect homemade meal to prepare for your family! It’s versatile, comforting, healthy and easy to make. Add these other delicious recipes to your meal prep menu:
- Simple Chicken Soup >
- Hearty Minestrone >
- Apple-Butternut Squash Soup >
- Cod Chowder >
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Taco Soup >
- Shredded Chicken Chili >
- Mexican Chicken Soup >
- Lobster Bisque>
No time for cooking? No problem! Stock up on our creamy Cheeseburger Soup >
Want easy meals and snacks delivered directly to your door? Learn more about the South Beach Diet! >
For even more recipes like this one, check out the book The New Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet written by the creator of the South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 2 Healthy Fat
- 1 Vegetables
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Tomato Soup
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add basil, tomato paste, salt and pepper to the pan and stir well to combine.
- Add crushed tomatoes and stock, then increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the soup begins to boil, turn the heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add heavy cream. With an immersion blender, puree the soup, being careful not to splash yourself with hot liquid.
- Parmesan Crisps
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of parmesan at a time onto the prepared pan to make 12 mounds, leaving 2 inches of space between each mound of cheese.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until deeply golden. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the pan before serving.
- Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and serve with parmesan crisps on the side or crumbled over top.