Apple-Butternut Squash Soup RecipeRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Butternut Squash Soup gets a tasty twist in this cozy and healthy soup recipe thanks to the addition of unsweetened apple cider, which adds body and a natural hint of sweetness. The best part about this delicious butternut squash soup? It’s not just delicious, it’s brimming with nutrition, too: It dishes out ample amounts of beta-carotene, B vitamins and fiber.
Helpful hint: This healthy soup recipe is extremely easy to make, but it does take some time to cook. Save time by purchasing pre-cut squash at your local grocery store, and make the soup ahead of time and freeze it.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
Servings: 6 (1 1/2 cup) servings
- 2 Vegetables
- 1 Extras
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple cider
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add squash, cover, and cook 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add broth and simmer until softened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer solid ingredients to a blender with apple cider and puree until smooth. Add 1 1/3 cups of the cooking liquid and puree until smooth.
- Stir back into the pan. Serve hot.