Apple-Butternut Squash Soup RecipeRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Classic Butternut Squash Soup gets a tasty twist in this cozy and healthy soup recipe. Unsweetened apple cider and butternut squash add major flavor and a natural hint of sweetness, while chicken broth, onions and black pepper keep things savory and warm. The best part about this delicious Butternut Squash Soup? It’s not just tasty but it’s brimming with nutrition, too: It dishes out ample amounts of beta-carotene, B vitamins and fiber.
Helpful hint: This healthy soup recipe is extremely easy to make, but it does take some time to cook. Save time by purchasing pre-cut squash at your local grocery store. You can also make the soup ahead of time and freeze it.
Looking for more healthy soup recipes ?We have plenty of South Beach Diet-approved recipes that are perfect for fall! Get some soup inspiration from the delicious recipes below:
- Simple Chicken Soup >
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Taco Soup >
- Hearty Minestrone >
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Parmesan Crisps >
- Instant Pot Keto Tuscan Soup >
- Mexican Chicken Soup >
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
Servings: 6 (1 1/2 cup) servings
- 2 Vegetables
- 1 Extras
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple cider
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add squash, cover, and cook 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add broth and simmer until softened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer solid ingredients to a blender with apple cider and puree until smooth. Add 1 1/3 cups of the cooking liquid and puree until smooth.
- Stir back into the pan. Serve hot.