Hearty MinestroneRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
The ultimate in comfort food, minestrone soup is a cold weather staple that’s brimming with cozy flavors. Give yours a healthy and hearty twist with this delicious recipe, which calls for small shell pasta and tons of vibrant veggies.
Want to make this dish on our Keto-Friendly program? Just pass on the pasta. There’s so much flavor in this mouthwatering minestrone, you won’t even miss the carb-y stuff. Happy slurping!
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
- .5 Good Carbohydrates
- 2 Vegetables
- 1 Extras
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and green parts, white halved lengthwise, rinsed and thinly sliced, green parts chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups Swiss chard, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/4 cup whole wheat ditalini or small shell pasta
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 sprigs oregano, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks, celery, minced garlic, dried oregano, pepper, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the broth, Swiss chard, green beans, and pasta. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the pasta is al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a cup, combine the chopped garlic with the parsley. Stir into the soup along with the zucchini. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and top each with 1 teaspoon of the cheese. Garnish with the oregano sprigs.