South Beach Chicken PaellaRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Paella is always delicious. But this one-pan chicken paella dish, which gets a flavor boost from saffron, takes delicious to a whole other level.
This paella recipe might take a little longer to make than your other South Beach Diet recipes, but trust us: It’s totally worth it. Whip up a big batch the next time you’re having company or, savor it solo. Either way, you’ll be happy you gave this paella dish a try.
Phase: Phase 2, Phase 3
Servings: 4 (1 1/2 cup) servings
- 1.5 Lean Protein
- 1 Good Carbohydrates
- 0.5 Vegetables
- 1 Extras
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup whole-grain, quick-cooking brown rice
- 3/4 cup roasted red bell peppers (from a jar), drained and thinly sliced
- 2 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large, straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onion; cook, stirring often, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice. Add red peppers, broth, and saffron; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. If paella has excess moisture, cook uncovered for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.