South Beach Chicken PaellaRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Paella is always delicious. But this one-pan chicken paella dish, which gets a flavor boost from saffron, takes delicious to a whole new level. The classic meal gets a healthy makeover with tender chicken breast, vibrant veggies and whole grain brown rice.
This healthy chicken recipe might take a little longer to make than your other South Beach Diet recipes, but trust us: It’s totally worth it. Whip up a big batch the next time you’re having company or, savor it solo. Either way, you’ll be happy you gave this paella dish a try.
Looking for more healthy chicken recipes? Try these other ideas:
- Chicken Salad with Citrus >
- Shredded Chicken Chili >
- Chicken Lasagna Cups >
- Chicken Enchiladas >
- Easy Chicken Parm >
- Grilled Chicken Salad >
- Coconut Chicken >
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
Servings: 4 (1 1/2 cup) servings
- 1.5 Protein
- 1 Good Carbohydrates
- 0.5 Vegetables
- 1 Extras
- 1 ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup whole-grain, quick-cooking brown rice
- ¾ cup roasted red bell peppers (from a jar), drained and thinly sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth, lower-sodium
- ¼ tsp. powdered saffron
- 3 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large, straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onion; cook, stirring often, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice.
- Add red peppers, broth and saffron; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. If paella has excess moisture, cook uncovered for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.