5-Step Spicy SalmonRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Salmon is great protein to incorporate into your DIY menu, and it provides a ton of versatility. One of our favorite salmon dishes to whip up is this 5-Step Spicy Salmon.
Complete with an array of flavors from fennel, cloves, cinnamon, star anise and szechuan peppercorns, this Spicy Salmon is served with garlicy spinach for a diet-friendly lunch or dinner that is bound to become a menu regular.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Protein
- 2 Vegetables
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely grated lime peel
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 tsp. sugar substitute
- 1 pound salmon steaks, cut into 4 equal-size pieces
- 8 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- In a 2-quart dish, combine the lime peel, lime juice, 1 teaspoon of the oil, the ginger, five-spice powder, and sugar substitute. Add the salmon and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a 3-quart microwavable dish, combine the spinach, garlic, and the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, tossing gently. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes, or until the spinach has wilted. Drain and keep warm.
- Lightly oil a grill rack. Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Remove the salmon from the marinade and place on grill rack. Brush the salmon with additional marinade. Close the grill cover and cook for 4 minutes. Open the grill cover, turn the salmon, and brush with marinade. Close the cover and cook for 4 minutes longer, or until the salmon flakes easily. Discard any remaining marinade.
- To serve, evenly divide the spinach among 4 serving plates and center the salmon on the spinach beds.