Poached Eggs ArrabbiataRecipe posted in: Breakfast
Finally, a breakfast so delicious, you’ll happily skip the snooze button! These easy poached eggs, which are enveloped in a rich red sauce and paired with vibrant veggies, are perfect for a relaxed brunch. We love the addition of feta cheese to this dish, since it provides extra protein and flavor.
Cooking tip: Red pepper flakes add a touch of heat so adjust the amount to your taste.
Looking for more healthy breakfast recipes? Check out these other ideas:
- Veggie Scrambled Mug Omelet >
- Cottage Cheese Crepes with Cherries >
- Quiche with Swiss Cheese and Fennel >
- “Fried” Eggs in Mushroom Caps >
- Mexican Veggie Egg Muffins >
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 0.5 Healthy Fat
- 0.5 Protein
- 1 Vegetables
- 1 Extras
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled (2 oz.)
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, onion, garlic, and 2 tablespoons water. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their liquid, pepper flakes, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Working with 1 egg at a time, carefully crack an egg into a cup. With the lip of the cup at the inside edge of the pan, slip the egg into the simmering sauce. When all the eggs have been added, cover the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, spoon some sauce over the eggs, and continue to cook, covered, for another 10 minutes, or until the eggs are set.
- Spoon 1 egg and some sauce into each of 4 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons of the feta and some black pepper and serve.