Mexican Veggie Egg MuffinsRecipe posted in: Breakfast
Breakfast, anyone? Make “the most important meal of the day” a delicious one with these Mexcian Veggie Egg Muffins.
As simple as blending a few flavor-packing ingredients together, this nutritious meal will be in the oven in no time… ready to pop in your mouth shortly after. Onion, bell pepper, tomatoes and spicy Mexican cheese bring excitement that you wouldn’t see coming, but will thank the heavens for!
Mexican Veggie Egg Muffins are a crafty little take on the classic egg breakfast to wake up your taste buds and power up your day with protein. A bit of vegetable and some healthy fats ensure long-lasting satisfaction to banish those mid-morning belly grumbles.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 1 Protein
- .5 Vegetables
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. onion, chopped
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. (or 3/8 cup) grape tomatoes, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened almond milk
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- black pepper (optional)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ¼ cup or 4 Tbsp. pepper jack or shredded cheese of choice
- 1/2 avocado + 1 tsp. lime juice (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. As the oven is preheating, chop/dice your pepper, onion and tomatoes finely.
- Crack the eggs into a medium-sized bowl and whisk them with the almond milk.
- Add your diced vegetables into the egg mixture, stir well and then sprinkle with cayenne pepper and black pepper. If you prefer not to season your eggs, you can omit the cayenne pepper and/or black pepper.
- Grease four of the muffin cups of a large muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Fill each of the sprayed muffin cups evenly with the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of shredded pepper jack cheese, or cheese of choice (including light Mexican cheese, cheddar cheese or part-skim Mozzarella cheese, if you prefer less spice) to the tops of each muffin cup.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the eggs are set and slighlty golden brown. A toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin cup should come out clean.
- Let them cool for about 5-10 minutes before using a fork or knife to lift them out carefully from the muffin tin.
- Serve immediately, topping them with avocado slices or avocado mashed with lime juice. Feel free to omit the avocado and save your ½ serving of Healthy Fat to use at a different meal. Place the remaining two egg muffins in a resealable bag in the refrigerator to enjoy on your second practice day.
- If doubling or tripling this recipe, place your muffin cups in a resealable plastic bag and store them in the refrigerator for up to one week or in the freezer for up to one month. When you are ready to eat the egg muffins, warm them up in the microwave on high for about 1 minute and top with avocado as desired.