Five-Spice SalmonRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Salmon gets a total flavor makeover in this delicious and easy Five-Spice Salmon recipe that features the tasty blend of fennel, cloves, cinnamon, star anise and szechuan peppercorns. By adding these, you get to taste sour, bitter, sweet, pungent and salty all at once. If you’ve never tried five-spice powder before, you might want to halve this amount, or your taste buds might just blow a fuse!
Phase: Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3
- 1 Lean Protein
- 2 Vegetables
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime peel
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar substitute
- 1 pound salmon steaks, cut into 4 equal-size pieces
- 8 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- In a 2-quart dish, combine the lime peel, lime juice, 1 teaspoon of the oil, the ginger, five-spice powder, and sugar substitute. Add the salmon and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a 3-quart microwavable dish, combine the spinach, garlic, and the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, tossing gently. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes, or until the spinach has wilted. Drain and keep warm.
- Lightly oil a grill rack. Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Remove the salmon from the marinade and place on grill rack. Brush the salmon with additional marinade. Close the grill cover and cook for 4 minutes. Open the grill cover, turn the salmon, and brush with marinade. Close the cover and cook for 4 minutes longer, or until the salmon flakes easily. Discard any remaining marinade.
- To serve, evenly divide the spinach among 4 serving plates and center the salmon on the spinach beds.