How to Make Homemade EggnogRecipe posted in: Snack
Cozy up this holiday with a creamy and dreamy Homemade Eggnog! We kept this recipe free of added sugar so that you can enjoy it on your low-carb meal plan.
Eggnog is a classic beverage that many enjoy during the holiday season. To make our low-carb version, we started with an unsweetened vanilla almond milk as the base and simmer it with heavy cream, egg yolks, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. We then add beat egg whites and stevia in order to give you the frothy, creamy texture you love. This simple, seasonal drink will quickly become a Christmastime staple in your home. Serve it up with a cinnamon stick for a creative presentation that is sure to impress.
Looking for more healthy sweets to enjoy this season? Indulge in these other low-carb recipes:
- Blueberry Muffins >
- Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes >
- Peanut Butter Pancakes >
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake >
- Cinnamon Rolls >
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding >
- Matcha Smoothie Bowl >
- 2-Step Chia Yogurt >
If you don’t feel like brewing up a big pot of eggnog, you can still enjoy a rich, creamy beverage using vanilla protein powder! With a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger, you can transform it into a delicious eggnog substitute.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp. stevia
- Add the almond milk, heavy cream, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger to a medium-sized pot over medium-heat. Stir frequently.
- Meanwhile, separate the egg yolks from the egg whites in separate bowls.
- Add 1/3 cup of sweetener to the egg yolks and whisk together until smooth.
- Slowly add a ladle of the almond milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture in order to temper the eggs and mix together.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the medium pot. Whisk together repeatedly to avoid getting lumps.
- Continue to simmer over medium-heat until the mixture is brought to 170°F. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg whites and 1 tablespoon of sweetener with a hand mixer until soft peaks are formed.
- Slowly add the egg whites to the warm egg mixture and stir.
- Pour the finished eggnog into a pitcher and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours to chill.