Homemade EggnogRecipe posted in: Snack
Cozy up this holiday with a creamy and dreamy Homemade Eggnog! We kept this recipe free of added sugars so that you can enjoy it on your keto friendly meal plan.
Eggnog is a classic beverage that many enjoy during the holiday season. To make our low carb version, we started with an unsweetened vanilla almond milk as the base and simmered it with heavy cream, egg yolks, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. We then add beat egg whites and stevia in order to give you the frothy, creamy texture you love. This simple, seasonal drink will quickly become a Christmastime staple in your home. Serve it up with a cinnamon stick for a creative presentation that is sure to impress.
One serving of this Homemade Eggnog recipe contains 145 calories and counts as one Healthy Fat on the South Beach Diet program. Stay accountable with your food intake during the holidays by logging your beverage in the South Beach Diet Tracker app! It’s the perfect place to keep track of your keto friendly meals, water and weight loss throughout your journey.
Looking for more keto friendly sweets to enjoy this season? Indulge in these other low carb recipes:
- Blueberry Muffins >
- Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes >
- Peanut Butter Pancakes >
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake >
- Cinnamon Rolls >
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding >
- Matcha Smoothie Bowl >
- 2-Step Chia Yogurt >
If you don’t feel like brewing up a big pot of eggnog, you can still enjoy a rich, creamy beverage from the South Beach Diet! Check out our A La Carte store and stock up on our Vanilla Ice Crush Shakes. With a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger, you can transform them into a high protein eggnog substitute!
Stay on track this holiday season with healthy, low carb meals from the South Beach Diet! Click here to learn more >
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp. stevia
- Add the almond milk, heavy cream, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger to a medium-sized pot over medium-heat. Stir frequently.
- Meanwhile, separate the egg yolks from the egg whites in seperate bowls.
- Add 1/3 cup of sweetener to the egg yolks and whisk together until smooth.
- Slowly add a ladle of the almond milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture in order to temper the eggs and mix together.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the medium pot. Whisk together repeatedly to avoid getting lumps.
- Continue to simmer over medium-heat until the mixture is brought to 170°F. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg whites and 1 tablespoon of sweetner with a hand mixer until soft peaks are formed.
- Slowly add the egg whites to the warm egg mixture and stir.
- Pour the finished egg nog into a pitcher and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours to chill.