Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf RecipeRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Check out this comfort food classic with a cheesy twist! Packed with flavor yet low in carbs, our hearty and healthy meatloaf recipe is the ultimate meat lover’s dinner for your low-carb diet. The juicy blend of beef and pork is seasoned with classic Italian herbs, then stuffed with roasted red peppers, arugula and mozzarella cheese. Make it for a crowd or freeze individual slices for an easy meal prep solution.
You can easily put together this stuffed meatloaf recipe in a snap, then let it bake while you work on other things around the house. The first step is preheating your oven to 375 degrees. While it’s getting hot, line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set it aside. Grab a large bowl and mix together one pound of ground beef, a half-pound of ground pork, a third-cup of chopped onions, two tablespoons of minced garlic, three tablespoons of tomato paste, a half-cup of almond flour and two eggs. Then it’s time to spice things up! We kept things Italian with some fresh parsley and one teaspoon each of dried rosemary, dried oregano and thyme. However, this step is flexible and you can any spices or herbs that you love!
Now that your meatloaf base is ready, spread the beef mixture out on prepared baking sheet to make a large rectangle that’s about a half-inch thick. Sprinkle the rectangle evenly with half of mozzarella, roasted red peppers, arugula and the remaining mozzarella. Be sure to leave a one-inch border on the sides. Using the parchment paper as a guide, roll the meatloaf into a cylinder. Press the seam and sides to seal in the stuffing. Bake your meatloaf for 45 to 55 minutes, until it becomes golden and is cooked through. Allow it to rest for about 10 minutes before cutting it into eight equal slices.
The Palm Pro Tip: This low-carb meatloaf recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for three to four days. To freeze it, place individual slices on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Once frozen, they can be stored together in a large freezer-safe bag.
This family-style loaf serves eight people. One slice contains 351 calories and four grams of net carbs.
Enjoy a low-carb diet that’s filled with fresh and flavorful meals! Keep things interesting with some of our favorite low carb recipes below:
- Shrimp Scampi with Zoodles >
- One-Pan Cauliflower Hash Brown Skillet with Eggs and Sausage >
- Crab Cakes >
- Nut-Crusted Fish with Herbed Tahini Cheese Sauce >
- Cucumber Feta Salad >
- Spanish Braised Chicken in Creamy Almond Sauce >
- Instant Pot Tuscan Soup >
For even more recipes like this one, check out the book The New Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet written by the creator of the South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 2 Protein
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, divided
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 cup chopped arugula
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, onion, garlic, tomato paste, almond flour, eggs, rosemary, oregano, thyme and half of the parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix until well combined.
- Spread the beef mixture out on the prepared baking sheet to make a large rectangle, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Sprinkle the rectangle evenly with half of the mozzarella, roasted red peppers, arugula and remaining mozzarella, leaving a 1-inch border on the sides.
- Using the parchment paper as a guide, roll meatloaf into a cylinder. Press seam and sides to seal.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- Allow the meatloaf to rest for 10 minutes before cutting it into 8 slices.