Roasted Garlic Avocado HummusRecipe posted in: Snack
Enjoy freshly roasted garlic in a whipped blend of ripe avocado, flavorful tahini and creamy cashews. Topped with a savory medley of herbs and spices, this creative, keto friendly take on a Mediterranean classic is the perfect dip or salad topping. Whip up this low carb hummus recipe for avo-licious snacks all week long.
Hummus typically features fiber-rich chickpeas as the creamy base. However, when you’re trying to watch your carb intake, beans and legumes should be kept in moderation due to their carbohydrate content. On the South Beach Diet Keto Friendly program, net carbs are limited to 50 grams or less per day. That’s why we’ve nixed the garbanzo beans and replaced them with a creamy blend of soaked cashews and avocado. Tahini still provides the classic hummus flavor you love without all the carbs.
The first step of this simple recipe is roasting the garlic. Heat a small sauté pan over medium heat and add six garlic cloves with the skin intact. Cook them for 12 to 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to help prevent burning. You can tell they’re finished cooking when the skins are charred and the garlic is tender. Remove the garlic from the heat and set it aside to cool. Once cool, carefully remove the skins from the garlic cloves.
Now that your garlic is ready, throw it into a food processor or blender with ripe avocado, soaked and drained cashews, tahini, onion powder, lemon juice, olive oil and water. Process the mixture, adding one tablespoon of water at a time until a creamy consistency is reached. Transfer the hummus to a bowl to serve. Drizzle it with olive oil and garnish with cilantro and paprika.
Storage Tips: This hummus is a great make-ahead snack. The lemon juice helps it stay looking and tasting fresh for three to four days in the refrigerator.
One serving of this Roasted Garlic Avocado Hummus contains 205 calories and less than five grams of net carbs. You can log it as two Healthy Fats in your South Beach Diet Tracker app. Serve this dreamy cashew hummus with your favorite chopped vegetables or over a low carb salad. You could even use it as a sauce for keto friendly pasta, chicken or steak! Check out these nine low carb pasta swaps for some inspiration. >
Avocado makes this hummus even more rich and creamy! We love this green fruit for its versatility and impressive nutritional profile. Why else would we feature it in so many of our keto recipes? Check out some of our favorite avocado treats below:
- Creamy Avocado Pesto Dip >
- Keto-Friendly Avocado Crab Salad >
- 3-Step Avocado Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps >
- No-Bake Key Lime and Avocado Cheesecake >
- 2-Step Creamy Avocado Pesto Zucchini Noodles >
- Baked Avocado Fries with Chipotle Garlic Dip >
- Keto-Friendly Deviled Egg Stuffed Avocado >
- 5-Ingredient Chocolate Avocado Pudding >
Get healthy and lose weight while enjoying delicious, keto friendly food delivered directly to your door! Learn more about South Beach Diet meal plans >
For even more recipes like this one, check out the book The New Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet written by the creator of the South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 2 Healthy Fat
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight then drained
- 3 Tbsp. tahini
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- Heat a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic with skin-on and cook 12 to 15 minutes, shaking pan occasionally, until skins are charred and garlic is tender. Remove and set aside to cool briefly.
- Carefully remove the skins from the garlic cloves.
- Process the roasted garlic, avocado, drained cashews, tahini, onion powder, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 3 Tablespoons of water in a food processor or blender. Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time until a creamy consistency is reached.
- Transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and garnish with cilantro and paprika.