Chicken Salad with CitrusRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Make Chicken Salad with Citrus to add a pop of flavor to your day. Too often, chicken salad recipes lack any excitement, or wow factor. Just as easy to prepare, but far more delicious, this recipe is a more appealing take on this classic lunch. Grapefruit adds a zesty tartness to the classic lean protein staple you’ll love. Bonus:the grapefruit is a great source of vitamin C and fiber.
Helpful hint: Use a knife to cut the peel from the grapefruit and then put the blade of your knife between the fruit and the membrane to cut the sections out. You can also seriously reduce the time it takes to make the Chicken Salad with Citrus by using chicken that is already cooked for you.
Phase: Phase 2, Phase 3
Servings: 4 (2 cup) servings
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 1.5 Lean Protein
- 0.5 Fruit
- 2 Vegetables
- 2 Tbsp. minced red onion
- 2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 5 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (1-lb.) head green leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (8 cups)
- 1 pink grapefruit, sectioned
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine onion, vinegar, 4 Tbsp. of the oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper in a jar with a lid. Close tightly and shake vigorously to combine.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; cook chicken until browned, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Remove from heat, cut into 1/2-inch slices, and toss with 3 Tbsp. of the dressing.
- Gently toss together lettuce, grapefruit, and remaining dressing in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve salad topped with chicken slices.