Meatballs with Tomato and Zucchini MedleyRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Meatballs are delicious, hearty and super simple to prepare, which is why they’re one of our favorite comfort weight loss foods. We are particularly fond of this one-dish meatball recipe because it provides a nutrient (and flavor!) boost thanks to the addition of cooked veggies.
Depending on where you’re at in your South Beach Diet weight loss journey, consider serving this tasty diet meal with a side of crusty, whole grain bread or atop a bed of whole wheat pasta. Either way, delicious!
If you loved this healthy meal, try our Zesty Italian Zucchini Boats!
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Protein
- 0.5 Good Carbohydrates
- 3 Vegetables
- 1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey breast
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute or 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 yellow squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 can (16 ounces) Italian-style cut tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Sprig basil, for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the beef or turkey, bread crumbs, egg substitute or egg, 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper, the Italian seasoning, and 4 tablespoons of the cheese. Form into balls the size of walnuts.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray over medium heat. Working in batches, add the meatballs and cook for 15 minutes, or until browned and no longer pink inside. Remove to a bowl, leaving drippings in the skillet. Repeat to cook the remaining meatballs.
- In the same skillet in warm drippings over medium-high heat, add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is tender. Stir in the zucchini, yellow squash, cut tomatoes (with juice), crushed tomatoes, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the remaining 2 tablespoons cheese, and the meatballs. Heat to boiling. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in the chopped basil. Garnish with the basil sprig.