Tofu CacciatoreRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Cacciatore means “hunter-style.” So when you’re on the hunt for a meal that’s super simple to make and even easier to eat, this Tofu Cacciatore is for you.
Featuring a delicious mix of vibrant veggies and perfectly cooked tofu, this vegetarian dish is so tasty and so satisfying, you won’t even miss the meat.
Power up with plant-based meals! Try out these other meatless recipes:
- Cucumber Salad with Bulgur and Mint >
- Asparagus Omelets with Goat Cheese >
- Chickpea Basil Saute >
- Cherry Tomato and Feta Crisps >
- Green Leaf, Pear and Goat Cheese Salad >
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Protein
- 2 Vegetables
- 1 pound firm light tofu, cut into 1/2" slices
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of allspice
- 1 can (28 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- Sprig rosemary, for garnish
- Cover a 17" X 11" baking sheet with paper towels. Place the tofu in a single layer on the towels. Cover the tofu with paper towels and pat down on the tofu until dry.
- Remove and discard all of the paper towels and place the tofu back on the baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large skillet coated with olive oil cooking spray over medium heat. Add the onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the wine, garlic, basil, oregano, and allspice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Heat another large skillet coated with olive oil cooking spray over medium heat. Add the tofu and saute for 3 minutes, or until lightly browned on both sides. Place the browned tofu slices in a 13" X 9" baking dish and cover with the tomato sauce.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until cooked through. Garnish with the rosemary.