Chickpea Basil SautéRecipe posted in: Snack
Chickpea Basil Sauté. It sounds complicated but trust us, it’s not. Chickpeas have been a staple of the Orient and Mediterranean for centuries, and for good reason. They are an excellent source of protein and fiber. Plus, they’re delicious!
This chickpea recipe makes a great vegetarian entree or side with one of our South Beach Diet healthy chicken recipes.
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
- 3 Good Carbohydrates
- 1 Vegetables
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 cans (14-19 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Sprig basil, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cumin seeds and cook, stirring frequently, for 7 minutes. Add the pepper and water. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the scallions and chickpeas and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the basil.
- Serve with the rice. Garnish with the basil.