Chickpea Basil SauteRecipe posted in: Snack
Chickpea Basil Saute. It sounds complicated but trust us, it’s not. Chickpeas have been a staple of the Orient and Mediterranean for centuries, and for good reason. They are an excellent source of protein and fiber. Plus, they’re delicious!
This chickpea recipe makes a great vegetarian entree or side with one of our South Beach Diet healthy chicken recipes.
Looking to lose weight enjoying healthy meals and snacks? The South Beach Diet is the program for you! Learn more about our meal plans >
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
- 3 Good Carbohydrates
- 1 Vegetables
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 cans (14-19 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Sprig basil, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cumin seeds and cook, stirring frequently, for 7 minutes. Add the pepper and water. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the scallions and chickpeas and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the basil.
- Serve with the rice. Garnish with the basil.