Cottage Cheese Crepes with CherriesRecipe posted in: Breakfast
Crepes, with their airy texture and subtle taste, are one of the more versatile breakfast foods that can be made in mere minutes. Load them up with scrambled eggs and other proteins, and you’ve got yourself a savory and satisfying meal. Fill them with fruit and a touch of honey or maple syrup, and you’ll feel like you’re indulging in an elegant dessert. Whichever way you choose to plate your crepes, we’re pretty sure you’re going to love them!
With this healthy Cottage Cheese Crepes with Cherries recipe, we’ve created the perfect morning meal to satisfy sweet cravings. They’re loaded with a delectable blend of protein-packed cottage cheese, flavorful fresh cherries and sweet maple syrup. But this dish isn’t only limited to mornings. Whip it up for a sweet yet smart dessert that fits into your healthy diet.
The sweetest part about this cherry crepes recipe? You’ll feel like a master chef while hand-making your own healthy cherry crepes from scratch. And, once you learn how to prepare them, you can modify the fillings to suit your cravings. Try something savory (like egg whites, spinach and Swiss cheese) or a different dessert-inspired creation (think warm bananas and peanut butter with a sprinkle of cinnamon… nom!).
Want healthy breakfasts, lunches and dinners delivered directly to your door? Get started with the South Beach Diet meal delivery service! >
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- .5 Good Carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit
- 1/3 cup kamut flour
- 2 Tbsp. whole wheat or whole grain pastry flour
- 1 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup + 1-2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tsp. trans-free margarine
- 1 cup cottage cheese or ricotta cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups pitted sweet cherries
- 1/4 cup sugar-free maple syrup
- To make the crepes: In a large bowl, combine the kamut flour, pastry flour, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the apple juice, 1/2 cup water, egg, and 2 tsp. of the margarine. Whisk into the flour mixture to make a smooth batter. Melt 1 tsp. of the remaining margarine in an 8" nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Pour 3 Tbsp. of batter into the skillet and tilt the skillet to coat the bottom with a thin layer of the batter. (If the batter seems too thick, add 1 to 2 Tbsp. water.) Cook the first side for 1 minute, or until lightly browned. Turn and cook the second side for 30 to 60 seconds. Slide the crepe onto a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm. Continue making crepes in the same fashion, adding the last tsp. of margarine to the pan after making the second crepe.
- To make the filling and assemble: Place a crepe on a plate, attractive side down. Arrange 1/4 cup of the cheese and 1/2 cup of the cherries in a line in the center of the crepe and fold in quarters. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 4 crepes. Drizzle with syrup.