“Fried” Eggs in Mushroom CapsRecipe posted in: Breakfast
Mushroom caps are filled with “fried” eggs in this delicious South Beach Diet recipe from The Palm that’s simple to make and totally delicious. This morning time meal combines a variety of ingredients and flavors to create a dish so mouthwatering, it’s certain to become a regular on your weight loss menu.
Balsamic vinegar, Parmesan cheese and fresh mushroom caps combine to create a morning time weight loss meal that’s worthy of a fancy brunch! This breakfast is low carb, packed with nutrition and South Beach Diet-approved.
Our favorite part? With the addition of water to the skillet, you can “fry” the eggs in just a little oil, with trans-fat-free margarine added for flavor.
Healthy help: If you can find one of the vegetable oil spreads with heart-healthy sterols and stanols added, use it!
Looking for more tasty ways to start your day? Click for 12 Grab-and-Go Breakfast Recipes for Your Meal Prep Menu! >
Check out these Morning Habits for All Day Weight Loss, the perfect companion to your delectable egg breakfast.
Eat clean and get healthy with delicious fully prepared meals designed to help you lose weight! Learn more about South Beach Diet meal plans >
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 0.5 Protein
- 1.5 Vegetables
- 4 medium portobello mushroom caps (3 oz. each), stems removed
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. trans-fat-free margarine (vegetable oil spread)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup watercress sprigs, thick stems removed
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- With a teaspoon, scrape out the gills of each mushroom cap and discard. In a large nonstick skillet, whisk together 1 teaspoon of the oil, the vinegar, and 1/4 cup water.
- Add the mushroom caps, stemmed sides down, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender. Drain and set the mushrooms aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, the margarine, and 2 tablespoons water over medium heat. When the margarine has melted, crack the eggs into the pan and sprinkle with the salt. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, until the eggs are set.
- Place a mushroom cap, stemmed side up, on each of 4 plates. Divide the Parmesan evenly among the caps and top each with watercress, an egg, and some tomato and scallions. Serve hot, sprinkled with black pepper, if desired.