“Fried” Eggs in Mushroom CapsRecipe posted in: Breakfast
Mushroom caps are filled with “fried” eggs in this delicious South Beach Diet recipe from The Palm that’s simple to make and totally delicious. This morning time meal combines a variety of ingredients and flavors to create a dish so mouthwatering, it’s certain to become a regular on your weight loss menu.
Balsamic vinegar, Parmesan cheese and fresh mushroom caps combine to create a morning time weight loss meal that’s worthy of a fancy brunch! This breakfast is low carb, packed with nutrition and South Beach Diet-approved.
Our favorite part? With the addition of water to the skillet, you can “fry” the eggs in just a little oil, with trans-fat-free margarine added for flavor.
Healthy help: If you can find one of the vegetable oil spreads with heart-healthy sterols and stanols added, use it!
Looking for more tasty ways to start your day? Click for 12 Grab-and-Go Breakfast Recipes for Your Meal Prep Menu! >
Check out these Morning Habits for All Day Weight Loss, the perfect companion to your delectable egg breakfast.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 0.5 Protein
- 1.5 Vegetables
- 4 medium portobello mushroom caps (3 oz. each), stems removed
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. trans-fat-free margarine (vegetable oil spread)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup watercress sprigs, thick stems removed
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- With a teaspoon, scrape out the gills of each mushroom cap and discard. In a large nonstick skillet, whisk together 1 teaspoon of the oil, the vinegar, and 1/4 cup water.
- Add the mushroom caps, stemmed sides down, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender. Drain and set the mushrooms aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, the margarine, and 2 tablespoons water over medium heat. When the margarine has melted, crack the eggs into the pan and sprinkle with the salt. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, until the eggs are set.
- Place a mushroom cap, stemmed side up, on each of 4 plates. Divide the Parmesan evenly among the caps and top each with watercress, an egg, and some tomato and scallions. Serve hot, sprinkled with black pepper, if desired.