“Fried” Eggs in Mushroom CapsRecipe posted in: Breakfast
Mushroom caps are filled with “fried” eggs in this delicious South Beach Diet recipe that’s simple to make and totally delicious.
Our favorite part? With the addition of water to the skillet, you can “fry” the eggs in just a little oil, with trans-fat-free margarine added for flavor. Healthy help: If you can find one of the vegetable oil spreads with heart-healthy sterols and stanols added, use it!
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 0.5 Protein
- 1.5 Vegetables
- 4 medium portobello mushroom caps (3 ounces each), stems removed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons trans-fat-free margarine (vegetable oil spread)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup watercress sprigs, thick stems removed
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- With a teaspoon, scrape out the gills of each mushroom cap and discard. In a large nonstick skillet, whisk together 1 teaspoon of the oil, the vinegar, and 1/4 cup water.
- Add the mushroom caps, stemmed sides down, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender. Drain and set the mushrooms aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, the margarine, and 2 tablespoons water over medium heat. When the margarine has melted, crack the eggs into the pan and sprinkle with the salt. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, until the eggs are set.
- Place a mushroom cap, stemmed side up, on each of 4 plates. Divide the Parmesan evenly among the caps and top each with watercress, an egg, and some tomato and scallions. Serve hot, sprinkled with black pepper, if desired.