Black Bean and Goat Cheese TostadasRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Black soybeans, just like the traditional black bean, are a great addition to any balanced diet. They’ve got fiber, protein and a whole host of body-boosting nutrients. Plus, they’re totally versatile. You can add them to salads, soups, pasta, stir fry or even make your own homemade black bean burger patties.
Tostadas are a quick and easy meal that can be packed with healthy, satisfying ingredients. In this delicious dish, we bundle savory black soybeans with tangy goat cheese, flavorful garlic, crisp lettuce, fresh tomatoes and scallions in a toasted whole wheat tortilla for a Mexican-inspired diet meal that will fill you up without filling you out. Can’t find black soybeans? Don’t sweat it! Traditional black beans will do the trick just as well.
Ready for dessert? Check out our tasty recipe for Flourless Black Bean Brownies! >
Eat clean and get healthy with delicious fully prepared meals designed to help you lose weight! Learn more about the South Beach Diet >
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 2 Good Carbohydrates
- 1.5 Vegetables
- 4 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15-oz.) can black soybeans, no-salt added, rinsed and drained
- 4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce (16 oz.), chopped (4 cups)
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, quartered
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly spray tortillas with cooking spray and place, slightly overlapping, on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly puffed and browned, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- While tortillas are toasting, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Stir in beans and heat until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- With tortillas still on the baking sheet, top with beans and cheese; bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with lettuce, tomatoes, and scallions. Squeeze lime over top and serve hot.