Zesty Crab Cakes with Creamy Pepper SauceRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
These Zesty Crab Cakes with Creamy Pepper Sauce take your typical crab cake to a whole other level. Although they’re delicious on their own, we think the homemade roasted pepper sauce adds a little something special.
Cooking Tip: Although you can use canned crab meat, fresh lump crab meat is far superior in these crab cakes.
Can’t get enough seafood? Check out these other South Beach-approved recipes:
- Cauliflower Rice Shrimp Fajita Bowl >
- Cod Chowder >
- Spicy Mussels with Tomato and Basil >
- Avocado Crab Salad >
- Lobster Salad Sandwiches >
Enjoy losing weight with healthy meals and snacks from the South Beach Diet. Get started with your program today! >
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
- 2.5 Healthy Fat
- 1 Protein
- 1 Good Carbohydrates
- 0.5 Vegetables
- 2 whole jarred roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crab boil seasoning, such as Old Bay
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, flaked and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- Sprig Italian parsley, for garnish
- To make the sauce: Puree the roasted peppers in a food processor or blender. Add the mayonnaise and black pepper as desired and process briefly to combine. Transfer to a small bowl.
- To make the crab cakes: Heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Remove to a large bowl.
- Stir in the egg white, walnuts, parsley, mayonnaise, lemon juice, crab boil seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, celery seeds, and paprika. Blend with a fork. Stir in the crab meat and hot-pepper sauce. Mix thoroughly. Form into 8 patties. Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl. Roll the patties in the breadcrumbs to coat completely.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, add the crab cakes and cook for 2 minutes. Cover and cook for 1 minute longer, or until browned on the bottom. Coat the tops with cooking spray and turn over. Cook for 2 minutes longer, uncovered, or until golden brown. Serve with the sauce dolloped in dots on the plate. Garnish with the parsley.