Yakitori ChickenRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Send your taste buds on a journey to Japan with Yakitori Chicken—a light dinner option that is so fragrant and delectable, you won’t feel like you’re skimping at all.
Our Chicken Yakitori recipe is an easy Japanese grilled chicken recipe served on skewers. The meat of these Japanese chicken skewers is basted with a savory-sweet sauce as it cooks. It’s a delightful dish that can be served as a quick appetizer for any crowded party or as a healthy dinner recipe served with a few extra sides. Whip up a low carb salad with a simple vinaigrette and dark leafy greens, or make some cauliflower rice with diced carrots, onions and peppers. Get creative and make a meal out of these South Beach Diet-approved skewers.
Chicken Yakitori is an inventive way to break your chicken dinner routine. Sesame and ginger marinate and later, dress these Japanese chicken skewers for a distinctive Asian flavor your palate will find absolutely addicting. Bell pepper, garlic and ginger take this concept even further. If you can’t find mirin or rice wine at the store in the Asian food section, just sub these with a third cup of dry white wine with two teaspoons of granular sugar substitute. It would be a tragedy to let this minor obstacle stand in your way of amazing Yakitori Chicken!
Looking for more protein-based meals in your weeknight? Try out our delicious Warm Beef Salad, a perfect meal prepping idea that you can make and enjoy all week long. You’ll also enjoy our keto friendly recipes for Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry and Steak and Egg Breakfast Bowl with Kimchi.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1.5 Protein
- 0.5 Vegetables
- 0.5 Extras
- 1 1/2lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces Special equipment: 8 (8-inch) skewers (if wooden, soak in water for 30 minutes)
- 10 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. mirin or rice wine
- 2 tsp. dark sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 (8-inch) skewers (if wooden, soak in water for 30 minutes)
- Heat oven to broil.
- Thread chicken, scallions and pepper onto skewers; place in a large shallow dish. Whisk together soy sauce, mirin, oil, ginger and garlic. Cover skewers with 1/2 cup of the mixture and marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes; set aside remaining soy sauce mixture for dressing cooked skewers.
- Lightly coat a broiler pan with cooking spray. Place skewers on the pan, reserving marinade. Broil, turning skewers and basting occasionally with reserved marinade, until chicken is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with reserved soy sauce mixture.