Poached Eggs in Red SauceRecipe posted in: Breakfast
Fill up your belly with zero guilt by making these delicious Poached Eggs in Red Sauce. A homemade sauce is made with a few simple ingredients to envelope classic poached eggs for an out-of-this-world breakfast.
Seasoned with red pepper flakes, this recipe adds a kick to your morning! Complete with feta cheese, Poached Eggs in Red Sauce is the ultimate homemade and healthy meal to add to your DIY menu.
Phase: Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3
- 1 Lean Protein
- 1 Vegetables
- 1 Extras
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 -inch dice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled (2 ounces)
- Cracked black pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, onion, garlic, and 2 tablespoons water. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their liquid, pepper flakes, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Working with 1 egg at a time, carefully crack an egg into a cup. With the lip of the cup at the inside edge of the pan, slip the egg into the simmering sauce. When all the eggs have been added, cover the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, spoon some sauce over the eggs, and continue to cook, covered, for another 10 minutes, or until the eggs are set.
- Spoon 1 egg and some sauce into each of 4 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons of the feta and some black pepper and serve.