Cream of Broccoli SoupRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Cold weather calls for soup! This creamy, dreamy broccoli soup is perfect for your fall and winter menu. Fresh broccoli florets are the star of the show, while Greek yogurt, whole milk and chicken broth add a savory flavor and decadent texture. Whip up this low carb soup recipe for the ultimate diet-friendly dish.
We top this delicious and nutritious meal with freshly chopped chives, sliced almonds and crispy bacon for added flavor and crunch. Clocking in at just 280 calories per bowl, you can’t go wrong this lightened-up classic. It counts as one Healthy Fat, half of a Protein and half of a Vegetable serving on your South Beach Diet meal plan. Make sure to keep track of it in the South Beach Diet Tracker App for the best results on your weight loss journey!
Broccoli is one of our favorite non-starchy vegetables! If you loved this low carb soup recipe, you’ll love our recipe for Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry! >
Want easy and delicious meals delivered directly to your door? We’re here for you! Learn more about South Beach Diet >
This recipe is from the book, The New Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet, written by the creator of the South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 0.5 Protein
- 0.5 Vegetables
- 6 slices raw bacon, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. chopped chives
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- In a large stockpot, heat the chopped bacon over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, cooking until crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside, reserving the grease in the pan.
- Add the butter to the bacon grease and melt.
- Add the broccoli florets and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until browned. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the yogurt, whole milk, chicken broth, and lemon juice.
- Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, until the broccoli is tender.
- Transfer the soup to a food processor and purée until smooth, or use an immersion blender.
- Divide the soup evenly among 4 bowls. Garnish with the bacon, chives, and sliced almonds.
- If you are preparing this dish in advance, once cool, store the soup and bacon separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator; they will keep for 4 to 5 days. Or freeze the soup in a resealable bag and defrost it in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.