Need a sweet treat for a special occasion? Indulge in a deliciously moist carrot cake cupcake that is gluten free and void of added sugars. Covered in a sweet and tangy cream cheese frosting, this recipe brings the classic carrot cake flavor you love with only five grams of net carbs per serving.
One of these low carb Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting contains 314 calories and counts as two Healthy Fats and one Extra on the South Beach Diet program. Please note that if you use the optional crushed walnuts, this would add a second Extra to your total. Because this recipe contains carrots (a starchy vegetable), it is best enjoyed on the Maintenance phase of your South Beach Diet program.
During your Weight Loss Phase, we recommend limiting your net carb intake to 50 grams or less per day. This recipe would be acceptable if you are able to fit it into your net carb limit. Log your food intake in the South Beach Diet Tracker app so that you can keep track of your daily totals with the handy Macro Tracker feature!
Almond flour is a great low carb, gluten free alternative for baking! Check out these other recipes utilizing this low-carb swap:
- Blueberry Muffins >
- Chocolate Brownie Cookies >
- Crab Cakes >
- Peanut Butter Pancakes >
- Easy Chicken Parm >
Don’t feel like turning on the oven? Check out the South Beach Diet A La Carte store for ready-to-go baked goods without the meal prep! Stock up on our Double Chocolate Cookie Bites and Peanut Butter Cookie Bites.
Lose weight and get in the best shape of your life with fully-prepared meals from the South Beach Diet! Learn more about our program >
For even more recipes like this one, check out the book The New Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet written by the creator of the South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D.
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
Servings: 9 (1 serving = 1 cupcake)
- 2 Healthy Fat
- 1 Extras
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. stevia extract powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup powdered erythritol-based sweetener (confectioners’)
- Crushed walnuts for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with 9 liners. Set aside.
- Stir together almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and stevia in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir together the eggs, vanilla, coconut oil and shredded carrots in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Distribute the batter evenly between the 9 cups in the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Beat cream cheese in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer for 2-3 minutes, until fluffy. Add vanilla and erythritol and continue to beat until combined.
- Frost the cupcakes when cooled completely.
- Optional: Top each cupcake with a sprinkle of crushed walnuts.