Spinach and Artichoke DipRecipe posted in: Snack
The popular spinach and artichoke dip that is a snacking staple typically calls for lots of high-fat mayonnaise. Our version uses ricotta and nutty Asiago cheese instead, which gives the dip a creamy, rich texture. Look for aged Asiago, which is easier to grate, and be sure to buy canned artichoke hearts rather than frozen or jarred marinated hearts (canned are more tender and flavorful than frozen). Serve with Phase 1 veggies such as fennel, asparagus, red bell pepper, yellow squash and cucumber.
Those who have moved past Phase 1 can enjoy with whole white pita wedges.
If you thought that was tasty, try our Pesto Cilantro Dip >
Phase: Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3
Servings: 8 (1/3 cup = 1 serving)
- 1 Lean Protein
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (13.75 ounces) artichoke hearts in water, drained
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated aged Asiago cheese or Parmesan cheese
- In a food processor, combine the spinach, artichoke hearts, oil, and garlic powder. Pulse until finely chopped. Add the ricotta, salt, hot pepper flakes, and nutmeg.
- Pulse until smooth. Add the Asiago and pulse just until combined.