Spicy Spinach and Artichoke DipRecipe posted in: Snack
The popular spinach and artichoke dip that is a snacking staple typically calls for lots of high-fat mayonnaise. Our version uses ricotta and nutty Asiago cheese instead, which gives the dip a creamy, rich texture. Look for aged Asiago, which is easier to grate, and be sure to buy canned artichoke hearts rather than frozen or jarred marinated hearts (canned are more tender and flavorful than frozen). Serve with non-starchy veggies such as fennel, asparagus, red bell pepper, yellow squash and cucumber.
Those who are in their Maintenance Phase or on our Diabetes program can enjoy this Spicy Spinach and Artichoke Dip with whole wheat pita wedges.
If you thought that was tasty, try our Pesto Cilantro Dip! >
Reach your weight loss goals with nutritious meals delivered to your door! Learn more about the South Beach Diet program >
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
Servings: 8 (1/3 cup = 1 serving)
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (13.75 oz.) artichoke hearts in water, drained
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- ½ cup grated aged Asiago cheese
- In a food processor, combine the spinach, artichoke hearts, oil, and garlic powder. Pulse until finely chopped. Add the ricotta, salt, hot pepper flakes, and nutmeg.
- Pulse until smooth. Add the Asiago and pulse just until combined.