Homestyle Green Bean CasseroleRecipe posted in: Snack
No buffet or family gathering is complete without a green bean casserole. With this delicious side dish recipe, we’ve given the old favorite a South Beach Diet spin. Be prepared for lots of requests for this guilt-free healthy green bean casserole recipe!
Our green bean casserole recipe is an easy vegetarian recipe that acts as the perfect side dish at those family holiday dinners. Even the kids will be begging for more of this string bean casserole! The fresh flavor of the green beans is accentuated by the mushrooms, onions and thyme. Plus, not only are green beans a nice, crunchy, low-calorie food but they also provide many key nutrients. According to Healthline, green beans are rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, dietary fiber, folate and vitamin K.
Lose weight and get healthy with a delicious meal delivery service! Learn more about South Beach Diet meal plans >
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 1 Vegetables
- 1 Extras
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1 onion, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices and separated into rings
- 1/2 pound baby bella or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- bag (16 ounces) frozen French-cut green beans, thawed and drained
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Coat a medium baking sheet and 13" X 9" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the buttermilk in a shallow bowl. Place the bread crumbs and walnuts in another shallow bowl; stir to combine. Dip the onion rings into the buttermilk, then dredge in the bread crumbs and place on the prepared baking sheet. Coat the onion rings lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until tender and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, chopped onion, thyme, and salt. Coat with cooking spray.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes, or until the mushrooms release their liquid. Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the milk and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes, or until thickened. Add the green beans and stir to combine.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 400°F. Pour the bean mixture into the prepared baking dish. Scatter the onion rings over the top. Bake for 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.