Buffalo Chicken Zucchini BoatsRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Celebrate the big game with a low-carb twist on buffalo chicken! If you’re craving hot wings but don’t want to damage your weight loss success, not to worry. These Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats are the perfect replacement. Featuring shredded chicken breast, healthy homemade buffalo sauce, melty cheddar cheese, crunchy celery and even some crispy bacon, it’s the ultimate game day meal that fits into your healthy diet.
We love the different flavors and textures in this South Beach Diet-approved recipe. The crispy bacon on top is the perfect addition to the classic flavors of buffalo chicken. You’ll also use the bacon grease to put together the low-carb sauce (no store-bought buffalo sauce here!). Simply combine it with butter, full-fat cream cheese, plain whole-milk Greek yogurt and hot sauce over medium-heat. Pour this spicy and creamy sauce over boiled and shredded chicken breasts, then mix in shredded full-fat cheddar cheese, chopped celery and salt and pepper.
This delicious and diet-friendly buffalo chicken mixture is stuffed into scooped out zucchini boats and topped with more shredded cheddar. It’s then baked to perfection until tender and topped with bacon bits and fresh cilantro. Yum!
This recipe makes four total servings. You get to enjoy TWO whole zucchini boats as one super delicious and satisfying serving! This clocks in at only 282 calories and just five grams of net carbs. It counts as one Healthy Fat, one Protein and one Vegetable on the South Beach Diet weight loss plans.
If you enjoyed this meal, you’ll love our recipe for Buffalo Ranch Stuffed Chicken! >
Want easy and delicious meals delivered directly to your door? We’re here for you! Sign up for a low-carb, high-protein meal plan from the South Beach Diet. Learn more here! >
This recipe is from the book, The New Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet, written by the creator of the South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
Servings: 4 (1 serving = 2 filled zucchini boats)
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 1 Protein
- 1 Vegetables
- 12 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 medium zucchini
- 4 slices raw bacon, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 oz. full-fat cream cheese
- ¼ cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup shredded full-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Place the chicken breasts in a medium pot, season with salt, pepper, and a few springs of fresh herbs, and then cover with water. Bring them to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken breasts from the water, allow to them cool, then shred.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Place the zucchini boats side by side in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Place the chopped bacon in a medium pot over medium heat. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Remove the bacon to a plate lined with a paper towel and set aside, reserving the bacon grease in the pot.
- Add the butter to the bacon grease and melt over medium heat. Add the cream cheese, yogurt, and hot sauce. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes, until combined.
- Remove the sauce from the heat. Add to the sauce the shredded chicken, celery, half the cheddar, and the black beans (if using). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat.
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly among the 8 scooped-out zucchini boats. Sprinkle each boat with the remaining cheddar.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until the zucchini is just tender and the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with the bacon bits and cilantro. Serve warm.