Nutty Summer Squash with Asiago CheeseRecipe posted in: Snack
Summer squash gets a savory spin in this delicious dish. You can enjoy it no matter where you are in your South Beach Diet journey.
Featuring chopped walnuts and Asiago, an Italian cheese with a nutty flavor, this delicious summer squash recipe is crunchy and packed with flavor. Enjoy it as a healthy side or snack. Either way, you will love it!
Looking to jazz up your squash? Try this tasty Summer Squash Flatbread >
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 0.5 Healthy Fat
- 0.5 Vegetables
- 2 teaspoons trans-free margarine
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 3" strips
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 3" spears
- 2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese
- Melt the margarine in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until soft.
- Add the zucchini, yellow squash, broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes, or until the zucchini and squash are tender. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with the walnuts and cheese.