Inside-Out CheeseburgersRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
These cheeseburgers might be inside-out, but there’s nothing inside-out about their flavor. They’re just as juicy and satisfying as any of your favorite cheeseburgers.
The primary difference between these cheese-stuffed burgers and your typical fast food favorites, is that these feature flaxmeal, which is high in cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber and heart-healthy alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). If you can only find whole flaxseed at the market, simply grind it into meal using either a spice grinder or a small coffee grinder.
If you enjoyed that tasty recipe, try our Classic Burger Recipe >
Phase: Phase 2, Phase 3
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 1.5 Lean Protein
- 1 Good Carbohydrates
- 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup flaxmeal (2 ounces)
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons soft goat cheese, preferably one flavored with herbs or garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 very thin whole-wheat sandwich rolls (1.5 ounces each), split, or 8 slices multigrain bread
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Bibb lettuce (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, flaxmeal, bell pepper, scallions, 2 tablespoons of the goat cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Using your hands, blend well and form into 4 balls. Poke a hole into the center of each ball and stuff each with 1 tablespoon of the remaining goat cheese. Pinch the turkey mixture to seal in the cheese and gently form into 4 patties. Make them as flat as you can (to speed the cooking), taking care not to squeeze the cheese out.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the pan with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Reduce the heat to medium, add the patties, and cook until browned on 1 side, about 3 minutes. Turn the patties over and cook for 2 minutes longer. Add 1/4 cup water to the pan, reduce the heat to a high simmer, and cover. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the burgers are cooked all the way through.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the sandwich rolls.
- To serve, brush 1 side of each of 4 roll halves with the balsamic vinegar. Top with a burger, a tomato slice, lettuce (if using), and the other roll half.