Ginger Chicken Salad Cucumber CupsRecipe posted in: Snack
Ginger is something of a superstar in the nutrition world. It’s rich in antioxidants plus it provides vitamin C, magnesium and potassium. It is also believed to reduce nausea and symptoms of vertigo. No wonder nutritionists are sweet on this spice! But it isn’t just for health junkies. It’s also a favorite among culinary gurus, who love the signature flavor it lends to dishes.
In this delicious and healthy snack recipe, ginger lends unique flavor to a homemade chicken salad recipe served in crunchy cucumber cups. Just be sure to shred the chicken into very small pieces so that you can easily distribute it among the cucumber cups. This is a perfect snack if you’re looking for easy recipes with chicken breast.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
Servings: Makes 16 cucumber cups (4 per serving)
- 0.5 Healthy Fat
- 0.5 Protein
- 0.5 Vegetables
- 1 large (6-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breast half
- 2 large English cucumbers (9 inches long)
- 1 tsp. grated lime zest
- 2 ½ Tbsp. fresh lime juice (1 large lime)
- 4 tsp. canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. dark sesame oil
- 1 tsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
- Slivers of lime zest and red bell pepper, for garnish (optional)
- Place the chicken breast in a small saucepan with just enough water to cover. Bring to a low boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until mostly cooked through but still pink in the center, about 8 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the chicken stand in the cooking water for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut each cucumber crosswise into 8 rounds (about 1 inch thick). With a melon baller or small spoon, scoop out some of the seedy centers to make cups, taking care not to go through the bottoms.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the lime zest, lime juice, canola oil, sesame oil, and ginger.
- When cool enough to handle, pull the chicken into small shreds and add the lime dressing. Stir to combine and season lightly with salt.
- Fill the cucumber cups with chicken salad (a scant tablespoon each) and garnish with slivers of lime zest and bell pepper, if desired.