Almond French Toast with Warm Blueberry SyrupRecipe posted in: Breakfast
Ahhh… French Toast. There’s nothing quite like starting your morning with fluffy and flavorful toast drenched in sweet syrup. Fear not, dieters: Thanks to this delicious and healthy Almond French Toast recipe, those of us who are watching our waistlines can still enjoy this morning must-have.
You’ll love the fruity flavor the blueberries lend to this breakfast classic, and you’ll appreciate the touch of almond as well. Just consider this fair warning: One sniff of this delicious morning meal, and your whole family will want in on the a.m. action, so you may want to double up this healthy recipe!
Helpful hint: Use your largest skillet for this healthy breakfast recipe and you might be able to make all of the toast in one batch. You can also consider making extra syrup to have on hand for future French toast ventures; it will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Are you nuts about almonds? Try these other delicious recipes:
Lose weight and get healthy with low carb food delivered right to your door! Learn more about the South Beach Diet meal plans >
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
- 0.5 Protein
- 1 Good Carbohydrates
- 0.5 Fruit
- 1 Extras
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. granular sugar substitute, or to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 Tbsp, granular sugar substitute
- 1/2 tsp. pure almond extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- 4 slices whole-grain bread
- 4 tsp. light olive oil
- For the syrup: In a nonaluminum saucepan, bring the blueberries to a simmer over medium heat and cook until the berries burst and the sauce thickens, about 12 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lime juice. Stir in the sugar substitute; taste for sweetness and add more sugar substitute, if desired. Keep warm.
- While the berries are cooking, make the French toast: In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar substitute, almond extract, salt, and nutmeg. Add 2 slices of the bread and soak for 30 seconds per side. Repeat with the remaining slices.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp. of the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan. Add 2 bread slices and cook until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 2 tsp. oil and bread.
- Serve the French toast with 1/4 cup warm blueberry syrup per serving.