“Fried” Coconut ChickenRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
This Indonesian-inspired “Fried” Coconut Chicken recipe make a few simple ingredient swaps to make this dish healthier, yet just as tasty, as the traditional Coconut Chicken.
To cut back on calories and carbs, this “Fried” Coconut Chicken recipe uses healthy ingredients like no sugar added coconut milk, a sugar substitute and macadamia nuts. Enjoy this filling and keto-friendly dish when craving fried food, and your taste buds will be swept away by this Indonesian-inspired meal.
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1.5 Healthy Fat
- 1 Protein
- 0.5 Vegetables
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders
- 1 Tbsp. chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. dried cilantro
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon peel
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- Pinch of ground turmeric
- 1 cup light coconut milk (no sugar added)
- 2 Tbsp. macadamia nuts, finely ground
- 1 tsp. sugar substitute
- 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 Tbsp. tamarind paste (available in Indian and specialty food markets)
- 2 tsp. water
- Chopped scallion, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes per side, or until browned and no longer pink in the center. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the broth in the same skillet. Add the onion, garlic, cilantro, ginger, lemon peel, cumin, and turmeric and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is tender but not browned. Stir in the coconut milk, nuts, sugar substitute, and red pepper. Return the chicken to the skillet, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and keep warm. Do not discard the sauce in the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the tamarind paste and water. Stir into the sauce in the skillet and gently boil until thickened and the mixture measures about 1 cup.
- Evenly divide the chicken among 4 serving plates. Top with sauce and garnish with the scallion.