Big Easy ShrimpRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Shrimp is one of those seafood staples you can add to any meal. Digging in to a green salad? Top it with shrimp. Whipping up a quick stir-fry? Mix in some shrimp.
But in this Big Easy Shrimp recipe, the seafood favorite takes center stage. Paired with bacon and a whole host of veggies, this shrimp dish is so flavorful, you just might lick the bowl.
On South Beach Diet Phase 2? Serve this easy shrimp dish over brown rice for a quick South Beach Diet Phase 2 dinner. If you’re not a shrimp fan, feel free to substitute scallops.
Phase: Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3
- 1 Lean Protein
- 1.5 Vegetables
- 2 strips turkey bacon or Canadian bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Crumble when cool. Remove and discard all but 1 tablespoon of drippings from the skillet.
- In the hot drippings over medium heat, cook the onion, bell pepper, and celery for 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes (with juice), bay leaf, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and hot-pepper sauce. Heat to boiling. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the shrimp and bacon and cook for 10 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque. Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving.