Beef with Mushrooms and AsparagusRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Wood-scented rosemary, nutty garlic and zesty lemon give an otherwise ordinary steak and veggie dish a touch of sophistication. The addition of cooked mushrooms and asparagus add a healthy and vibrant touch that will round out your meal.
Cooking tip: Making shallow cuts in the steak before seasoning. It gives the seasonings full access to the meat, resulting in deep, full flavor.
Looking for weight loss inspiration? Try these Motivational Mantras >
Lose weight and get healthy with the South Beach Diet! Learn more about our meal plans >
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 0.5 Healthy Fat
- 1.5 Protein
- 2 Vegetables
- 1 1/2 lb. London broil, 1-inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 4 tsp. crushed dried rosemary, divided
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced lengthwise
- 1 lb. asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lb. white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Score both sides of steak in a diamond pattern by carefully making 1/8-inch-deep diagonal cuts with a sharp knife at 1-inch intervals. Rub half of the garlic and 2 teaspoons of the rosemary into both sides of meat and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook, turning once, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and loosely cover with foil to keep warm. Heat remaining oil in the same skillet. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes. Add remaining garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add asparagus and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until asparagus is crisp-tender and almost all of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon zest and remaining rosemary, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut steak into thin slices and serve with the vegetables.