Beef with Mushrooms and AsparagusRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Wood-scented rosemary, nutty garlic and zesty lemon give an otherwise ordinary steak and veggie dish a touch of sophistication. The addition of cooked mushrooms and asparagus add a healthy and vibrant touch that will round out your meal.
Cooking tip: Making shallow cuts in the steak before seasoning it gives the seasonings full access to the meat, resulting in deep, full flavor.
Phase: Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3
- 0.5 Healthy Fat
- 1.5 Lean Protein
- 2 Vegetables
- 1 1/2 pounds London broil, 1 inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 4 teaspoons crushed dried rosemary, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced lengthwise
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Score both sides of steak in a diamond pattern by carefully making 1/8-inch-deep diagonal cuts with a sharp knife at 1-inch intervals. Rub half of the garlic and 2 teaspoons of the rosemary into both sides of meat and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook, turning once, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and loosely cover with foil to keep warm. Heat remaining oil in the same skillet. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes. Add remaining garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add asparagus and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until asparagus is crisp-tender and almost all of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon zest and remaining rosemary, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut steak into thin slices and serve with the vegetables.